How bad was it?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by GreenT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I've never heard of lawn painting...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was out today checking some of my higher end clients properties and was amazed that the st augustine grass wasn't affected by this last freeze, still green. I had to cut them, but all the bahia grass is toast, totally brown and looks dead.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

For the most part it's the frost that gets the SA. Even then it takes a pretty heavy frost to send into dormancy for more than a few days. That's especially true with Floratam. Hard freezes and many hours below freezing can damage them, but it's generally the frost that damages the SA and the freeze that gets the plants.

4. Brown Bahia means no cutty for two monthy....hopefully they are monthly and not per cut...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I will not touch Bahia without a year contract. Unless managed properly, it can be a nightmare.

6. I don't do Bahia anymore, but if I did, it would only be monthly. The per cut is lose lose for the lco.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

We still do three horse farms that I've had for years. these are high end training facilities, two thoroughbreds and one show/jumping horses.

Some of my best accounts and great friends also.

8. I would prob do those too. I'm talking about 1/4-1 acre lots. Big horse farms are a different story.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Had a heavy frost Thursday morning, the Captiva looks untouched :D Looked like crap August through October, but it's the greenest thing around right now.

10. Those people actually have money. Most of the homes around here with Bahia can't really afford a service.
    Posted via Mobile Device