How bad was it?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by GreenT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Show off. :dancing:

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

There's a reason the first syllable is BAH (-ia). Cause it $UCKS to cut and most people here don't manage it properly - :blob2:

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the turf I have seen here is brown with specks of green here and there. There will not be a need to be on most of the properties I have seen of these so far for I am guessing a couple of weeks.
    Will try to snap some pics.

4. All my St Aug lawns look great still. The coldest night we had went down to 35 or so but it was only for 1 hour. Bahia/weedy lawns have stunted and browned a bit. Some sensitive ornamentals just dropped some leaves and herbaceous perennials have slight damage. All I know is I'm skipping cutting this week!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot to snap pictures while out today. Some actually needed cut, some that we skipped over two weeks ago.
    Lots of damage here in certain areas - corner lots seemed to get the worst it. I am assuming since they are much more in the open.

Not much today was torched in front of shrubs - but most of today's houses have shrubs that are more hardy.

On my personal property....tibochina got torched even though they were covered, Pintas too.... a few but not all hibiscus.

6. I actually like how it got close to freezing but didn't. It slowed things down without making everything looklike crap. It just sucks when it warms back up to near 80's. Should be interesting how the rest of Jan and feb plays out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

It's warming up, rain tomorrow night. Growth slowed some, little browning out; just in patches due to cold damage to undesirable ground cover.

Cutting tomorrow & Thursday.

My impatients are FABULOUS: Huge, colorful and garish the way all the "Alte kakers" like them, Oi Ve!

8. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Double cold front on its way this weekend. 30s expected.

Round two begins.... :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

9. skipped cutting this week on all lawns...a couple were iffy but i skipped anyways...still showed up and edged, trimmed, cleaned-up,etc.

As far as ornamental damage....some plants are now showing a little damage. Mainly hibiscus, but some other stuff has minor leaf damage or leaf drop.....

As long as we don't get a frost or freeze from now until march, everything will be fine.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Another heavy frost on the ground this morning. :(
    Posted via Mobile Device