How bad was this estimate??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mad_wrestler, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Quoted a customer today on a job today. Here is what I will be doing. In the backyard there are ten bushes requiring removal. One Lagusta and 9 Mandinas. Forgive me on the spelling. With the Lagusta, I am going to cut it just below ground level instead of fully removing. The roots have gone under the house and it has been their for over ten years. It would take a tank to get it out and the thought of the damage to the house . I will be creating a 48 X 4 bed with cleyera japonica on the corners and four maybe five dwarf youpans in between them. Then putting cedar mulch in the beds. The entire exterior of the house will have bedding and bushes. Not a real big house though. I see it flowing like a molt around a castle. On the side the customer wanted to keep the hollies. All were in great shape except for two. I will replace those two and do the beds like stated before. That bed will be 30' X 4'. In the front I will replace the existing twenty shrubs. Little box woods that never got started. I am using either dwarf youpan or Indian hawthorn for the foundation and running monkey grass as a border and that wraps around to the final side. The front bed is 28 X 4. The last side has nice bushes as well, more hollies. I will replace two there and then do the bed as mentioned before. That bed is 12' X 4". There are 6 dips in the yard that I will be putting topsoil and seed and one stump removal. Don't know what kind of bush but I will be able to get under it to wrap a chain to my truck. With all of that said I quoted the customer $1300. Figure about 2 1/2 to 3 days work with two guys. How'd I do on the quote? I will be posting before and after pics upon completion. Can't wait to get started!

2. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I didn't quite follow the description...but 2 1/2 to 3 days work with two other guys is what, a total of 70-90 hours of labor? And then you add in materials? That is a very low price...of course it all depends on your costs and the hourly rate you have in mind...some on this site would do it for that ( I guess ) and make money...others would be several times that amount.

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

It is called an estimate for a reason. If you get the job in the end charge what the total should be. They may not be happy but just explan some things changed and that with the amount of labor price changed. If they are not happy offer a discount on their next job with you.

4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

3 days is 24 hours. times two guys is 48 hours.

1300 bucks divided by 48 hours is like 28 an hour.

Assuming everything goes well.

Plants are free?

Twits that quote one thing and don't stick to their quote are amateurs and should be sued for everything they don't have.

I've quoted and missed badly, but I've never rationalized a low ball bid with the EXPECTATION of raising the price later.
    If I were the customer, and the contractor came to me and tried to raise the price, I'd laugh in their face.

5. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Then why give an estimate if that is your price, just say here is my price sign it and I will work. An estimate is what it should cost, there may be bumps in the road. I am not saying low ball and then jack up the price but in some situations you need to raise the price in the end.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

better to estimate too high and give the customer a bill for less than underestimate and eat the differance or dare to try for more, I personally Honor all my Quotes as Quoted or less.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrong you can over estimate but should never underestimate & increase after the job, If you need to increase the price do so before beginning, not when finished.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! Let me get this rite. U will be removing & disposing 10 bushes in back, creating 2 beds 48' x 4' & 30' x 4' (will that include weed fabric, mulch & plants?), replace a couple hollies add monkey grass & hawthorns, fill dips with top soil, seed & straw and remove a stump. Is that $1,300 just your labor or does that include everything? How did u come to that price? I think that is CRAZY low. No way I could or would do all that for that price

9. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

Way way to cheap...

10. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I thank all of you on your professional opinions. The only bed that I will actually be making is the 48' X 4' bed in the back. I have a sod cutter and tiller for that. All but a couple of the bushes have really shallow roots. I think that is why they did so bad in the first place. So I figure that the bushes won't be that difficult. The other three beds are already in place. I wil de-weed the areas, remove unwanted plants , install new ones and then add mulch. I plan on putting down a Pre M instead of the weed cloth, though. Yeah I know I really botched up the estimate from what ya'll are saying. I'd rather find this out on my first job rather that a month down the road. Any help with per plant estimates and removals will be appreciated.