how big a compressor to run impact wrenche

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by daveintoledo, Dec 4, 2005.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

is a 2 horse, 6 gallon compressor big enough to use a impact wrench on for general mechanic work...... thank you

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 5hp 20 gal, and it can't keep up if I'm using it a lot, have to wait for it to build pressure more often than not and has to be built up really good to be safe for lug nuts. I still use my torque wrench on lugs when I'm done with the impact, I just don't trust it.
    works get for blades.

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I'd think that would be a bit small if you are doing anything that requires more than the occasional short bursts. Usually with an impact you are not continuously running the tool, so you may get by. If you get into using any type of tools that require alot of air such as cutoff tool, sand blasters, scalers, etc., somthing that size would be no where near adequate.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go for more of a 50+ gal compressor, and more powerful motor. that is, if you want to not be stopping all the time just to build air pressure.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That may be large enough to top off tires but would probably run all the time doing that. The proper size for regular shop type work would be as Lawn Masters said 5 or 6 hp with 50 gal. or larger tank. I have a 6hp 2 stage 80 gal. that will run anything I want.

6. kenmac

kenmac LawnSite Member
    from alabama

you can get by with a 2 h. p. 20 gal. portable unit . I used 1 for years. Now I have a 7.5 h.p. 80 gal .2 stage that pumps out 25.25 c.f.m. @ 100 psi.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this was about space in the shop more then money, maybe ill just go with the electric impact for now.... thanks again glad i asked you guys first....

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I put mine outside the back wall of my shop and ran a header through the wall,Then built a roof over it. More room and less noise. :D

9. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

has anyone tried a cordless/rechargeable?

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i carry dewalt 18v in truck for blades and emergencies. i like it.