How Big a Hoe for this size hole?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SiteSolutions, Jun 8, 2008.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Gave a price to dig a hole along a foundation of a house. Foundation repair people are going to have to rebuild a basement wall that is caving in. I am to dig down about 12 feet deep along the foundation, about 14 feet back from the wall; about a 20 foot long hole. Back fill 2 feet of crushed stone.

I am figuring on using a 15,000# excavator for this seeing as how deep and far I will need to reach. Any 2nd opinions?

2. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

you will be fine with that size machine. We used our 12,000lbs yanmar to do the samething about a month ago, only had to go down 9' though, but it would have dug 12'.

3. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I've done several basement wall replacements and waterproofing, usually rent a Cat 303, or Deere 35 size machine. Why do they want you to dig out 14 foot from the wall? We usually give our self 3' along the wall then bench or slope the bank back. Most basement around here you have to dig about 9 -10' deep to top of footing. A 18,000 pound excavator will work fine, just watch if you get right up along house not to hit the overhang or gutter with the boom, I know that from experience a long time ago!::rolleyes:

4. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Sorry 15,000# excavator

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the basement is 12 foot?....thats one heck of a basement...but an 8 ton machine would be fine...step up to a 12 ton to make the job go quicker....or my personal choice would be a backhoe to dig and carry stone

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I do that kinda stuff....I use an 18,000 lb machine and it is just dandy........Bobcatexc made me smile, cause I have been there done that.......take a shovel man with you if for nothing else than to watch your boom and rear end.........it is cheap insurance....AND, remember to call blue stakes before you dig or don't dig at all......the line I love from them is "are you familiar with our two foot safety zone?"........yes, I am.....more familiar than I ever in my wildest dreams thought I would be! No joke, don't forget to call blue stakes.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I just went through a new round of certifications for my Septic License and there was a section on OSHA laws for trenches.

Do most people not abide by them in situations such as this?

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

AWJ......as far as OSHA goes, different states have different attitudes. I have worked in California and they take it serious. I now live and work in Utah, a right to work state, and it is wide open and a tad bit scary. The attitude of "expendible people" pervades this area and I can tell you of all sorts of bury stories and escalate up to me sitting in a hospital with my friends son who had his leg mangled and torn almost completely off by a track hoe......So, do most people abide by OSHA? I would hope that safety and common sense prevail, but around here it is a rare commodity......

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

whats OSHA state now...anything greater then 3 foot needs to be shored or stepped? so a 12 foot ditch would need to be stepped at a 2:1 slope...making your ditch a total of 24 feet wide....i have to ask, do you think people follow these rules? I mean its great that they have these standards in place, but they get ridiculous...i should technically have shoring when i send a guy down into a septic tank hole for 5 minutes to rake the bottom off...but its just not feasible...so what do we do? We sit in the hoe and keep a dead eye on them...if i have a guy in a ditch deeper then there chest i don't take my eyes off him or the walls of that trench, if i even see the smallest bit of what looks like a wall might shear i am hollering for him to get the hell out of there

i think the regulations are great for guys that don't have common sense, for those that dig a 10 foot hole in sandy soil and leave there guy to pipe it up...thats just not smart, but for a trench that will be open for a few hours at most shoring/stepping is just a huge cost that a lot of people don't want to pay for

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I agree but if someone is hurt or killed they can criminaly prosecute you and you will spend years behind bars.

I am just asking.