How big an area is your "shop"?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Many people here have talked about making and mixing their compost. I know that tree has a farm down south but has also done things within buildings and has a "test" plot to show the smallest area required to make your own compost.

SO... what do your work places look like that you do your own composting/mixing at? What kind of equipment do you have to do your making/mixing...

I ask for a few reasons, I don't have a place currently, getting ideas on what people are using, and the area that is required.

I am going to speak with a few local horse farms with open land to see about renting a few thousand sq ft and begin there but as the cash comes in would like to move to either a building or a stand alone space. I would then preferably work out a deal to use their onsite tractor to do my mixing as well...

Thanks,
    Adam

2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

see if they will let you borrow their chipper shredder too.

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Right now it is a two car garage and an extended driveway. No composting atm (well I do have a couple 'learning' piles in the garden), but as far as teh business is concerned... just blending.

4. DeepGreenLawn

you do your blending on your job sites?

Growing... do horse farms usually have chippers you think? I may just rent one from time to time or find a cheap used one... what size do you think would be good?

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

lol, i thought since your borrowing the loader already why stop there:)

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I mix in my garage right now. I am getting enough criticism from the skeptics in the other thread and will not post how I do it here. Seems if it is done in an unfamiliar way they think it is either impossible, or not smart... Anyways, I will PM you. :)

7. pt03

pt03 LawnSite Member

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If your method cannot stand up to scrutiny, then perhaps it needs to be rethought?

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

And who better than Kiril to do the scrutinizing? (lol, just havin' fun)

10. DeepGreenLawn