1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How big an area is your "shop"?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been speaking to folks all over about this model but it is hard for most to grasp. Its an idea that people want to do but it puts them outside their comfort zone or something. It makes sense to me, break even or even make a profit at the very thing (compost) that is at the heart of your program that your company really makes a profit at.
  2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I would add... it is smart to keep your waste management company (compost supply company) and your fertilizing company separate... then have your supply company charge your lawn company for the material. This will force both companies to be profitable for the right reasons, and ensure that you are charging as you should... otherwise you could end up like subsidized farming... among other reasons.
  3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I think JD hit it on the head, IT IS running two separate businesses, which may be why some find it hard to get started in both businesses at the same time.