How big are yours?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Nov 8, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how big most of your residential accounts are. Curious because almost all of mine are less than a 1/4 acre and I'm trying to decide if I need to get a walk-behind or a ztr. Almost seems to be a waste of money. I only do this part-time, so take that into account.

2. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my accounts are residential and 1/8 - 1/6 acre. My 32" SCAG WB is perfect. It fits through all but one gate, which I use my 21" on. Anything bigger would be a waste for me, but the 32" (W/Velke) knocks it out WAY faster than a 21" push.

Oh yeah, Welcome to Lawnsite!

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

My lawns range from about 3Ksq.ft trailer park lawns to 13Ksq.ft lawns.
    Most are in the 6 to 8K range. I use a 52" and 36" wb's on all but one lawn (small gate).

So, yes, get a larger mower. Since you're part time, maybe just go with a wb for now, but I would suggest a hydro to be your most productive.

4. McCarty"s

McCarty"s LawnSite Member

My accounts range in size. The largest being seventeen (17) acres to the smallest being 1/8th an acre. I would suggest getting a 48 to 52 inch z mower, one trimmer one push mower. Don't limit youself, you never know what lies ahead. Think big - grow bigger.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought this thread was about the ball on my trailer hitch.

Most of mine are 1/4 acre. I do have commerical and homeowner assoc. areas that are multi acres.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

3/4 acre average. 1/8th smallest, 3 acre's largest. Been lookin at getting a ZTR in the spring too. 60" Gravely 260z.

I'll probably trade my 50" gravely WB for a 48" hydro too.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you are only part time and only do 1/4 acre or less you should probably go with a walk behind rather than a ztr. Tough to justify a ztr for small props part time.JMO.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

quarter acre=11,000 sq. ft, correct? if most of your properties are close to this size, get something u can ride. mine are averaging like 4k, and a walk behind is perfect. i have them at 11k, and up to 20 k, gonna ride these next year. p.s, the smaller the lawn, the more money u make.

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

most are 1 to 3 acres.i have a few 6 to 10,000 sq ft.if 98% of your lawns are flat (no hills) i would get a ztr.i like using W/Bs more but my body was hurting every night from standing on a sulky all day

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed. Since you are partime, and have smaller properties... keep your overhead down. A walk behind is fine.

Our residential properties range from 1/4 acre to 2 1/2 acres. :cool: