1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how big do open trailers get?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smitty58, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

We are considering getting an open trailer this year ,and if I do I want a big one. Does anyone know how big the landscape trailers get. The biggest I've seen is 16 ft but I want bigger if possible.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen some in the 20s 4 60" zeros on it.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

A Landscaper who keeps his equipment in the same yard as me has an open trailer 7x24 twin axle. He's hauling 4 60" riders, 2 48" wb's and 2 36" wb's on it.
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The one I used at my work was a 22 foot pace. We had two walkers and a wright stander packed into that. The thing was like towing a semi-trailer around
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I own a 28ft deck over. You can get pretty much anything you would actually want to use. My currect tagalong is 18ft and so far it has proven to be more than adequant for my needs.
  6. bnorton

bnorton LawnSite Member

I have a custom made 20' gooseneck open trailer with a full-size side gate. The trailer was made by Gatormade Trailers in Somerset, Kentucky. Excellent trailer; carry 2 - ZTRs and 1 - Walkbehind in the front.
  7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

32ft, believe its a Olympic (not to sure) Alum. spring assit gate. Use it haul around Toro 325 and a 580-D
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You can have them made up to 30' with 4 axles but I personaly wouldn't want anything bigger than 20'. I have a 16" tandem axle and a 5x8 tilt bed that work for what we do. You can get just about any size trailer you want but you have to consider how hard it will be to get around in tight neighborhoods with more than a 20'.
  9. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

we have a 24' open big tex trailer. I can put our 3 riders and a walkbehind on it all at once.
  10. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

We've got a 16ft. It holds the front mower, a 36in wb and a 21in. My advice is buy the biggest trailer you can find/afford.