How big is TOO big of a lawn for a Quick 36?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

3/4 acre?
    1.5 acres?
    5 acres?

At what point does it become silly in the amount of time spent mowing :confused: FYI I do have the step saver sulky

It is possible that I will purchase a Quick 44 or possibly a Toro 48 WB down the road. A 50+ ZTR would be in late 2009 or early 2010 at the earliest if that.

We have all heard $60 to $120 an hour is a good target. And it's common to get $35 for an average cut . . . ."

Some sort of sliding scale . . .? . . . bite the bullet in time spent in anticipation of a more productive mower?

Thoughts? :waving:

qss.jpg

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i price based on time, not what size mower i use. you cant bid a 50 dollar property for 100 just because you have a 21" mower. you have to bid like you already have the bigger mower. atleast thats the way i do it.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You work with what you have and what you can afford and charge what the market will pay....I have used a Quick 36 on lots up to an acre and a half....and a 44 on 2 acre plus lots...

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

As of yet I haven't used the Quick 36 for mowing and I'll I've used in the past have been decent quality 21"s. I did a vacation mow on a corner lot last year with a fair amount of landscaping. Large mowing area, all mulching and at top mower speed for $50. It took me 90 minuets with my Toro SR in 3rd gear. Growth was minimal. I did it just so I could chart my time spent. With a Quick I would think it would take just under an hour on the same lot.

Since I don't have any experience running this mowing I'm guessing. :rolleyes:

5. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

Ive never used a mower that small so I cant say. I can say that you should get the widest mower that you can afford. Constantly trade up for the better mower untill youv'e arrived at the riding, hydro, 52-61" lvl. Now your big time. Itll take 11 minutes to do a yard with a helper. Thats in and out. Not just the cut. We blow through some of are lawns in under 7 min. ciao

6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

3/4-1 acre for a 36" deck. Personally, I wouldn't use a 36" on any property under 3/4 acre with the exception of small gates. Also, big stripes look better on big parcels of grass. 36" stripes look just right for residential lots.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first started we use to cut a 5 acre property with a 37" Toro midsize. It took a long time but at the time we couldn't justify a larger mower for one property. Once you get enough properties to justify a larger mower it is time for the purchase.

8. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

You guys are strange when you mention acres and sq feet. I mean Ive never once measured a property. All I need is a simple walk through and bam Ive got a a decent quote.

Kids?=toys, sticks and things parents don't see.(rocks)
    Dogs?=poop, toys, TENNIS BALLS!
    How many beds?=with or with out borders.
    Debris?=cars, junk, low hanging branches.
    The grounds themselves?=slope, level, and type of grass.

All competing factors that equal the final price. And the size of the yard and the neighborhood but not the acreage lol.ciao

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I won't even consider using either of my 36s if I can use the 60 no matter the size of the lawn.

My first commercial mower was a 36 followed quickly by a 50. Then a got a 60. I kept the 36 and ditched the 50.