1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How big is too big?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CK82, Nov 3, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I have a job to plant some evergreens around 10ft. in height, my question is how big is too big for a person to handle? Can they be moved with a tree dolly/cart or would i need a skidsteer? Anyone with experience and any advice here would help.

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I planted a row of 10-12' leylands last summer (15 B&B). We used a bobcat with an auger to dig the holes and used the forks to offload and position the trees in the holes. We were able to finish it in one day. Doing it by ball cart, dragging and pushing around the yard would have been difficult and labor intensive. What I used in equipment rental was cheaper than adding another day or two in labor. But I still charged for the equipment rental!
  3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ Tscapes. anything over 6-7' b&b starts getting tough to do manually. if you have a skid sterr available, use it. if not, rent it and charge for it. I get $650 a day for man and machine. that plus your tree markup should make the job do-able and profitable.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what kind of "evergreens"?
  5. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Still in the process of deciding that, but here are the choices. Skyrocket Juniper, White fir, Fat albert colorado spruce, hoops blue spruce. I would still like to get them planted this season, but I'm having a hard time getting a hold of a hand ful of them this late.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

You can move them over flat ground with a good ball cart, but when you have to position them in the hole you better have help. 6'- 1 man job. 8-10'- 2 man job. anything bigger get a machine.