1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How big is your shop???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JMiller08, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys just trying to figure out how big i need to have my shop in the future. How big is yours? How many employees and accounts do you have? Im thinking a 1000 sq ft shot would be plenty big for a couple employee operation but i may be wrong.
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

12,400sq. Ft. Allthough I've got all my extra toys there, woodworking stuff and I keep my mulsh and salt indoors.
  4. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is 40'x60' (2400 sq ft) with 3 roll up doors. Plenty of room to store all my equipment.
  5. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

My actual shop is a 30x60 steel building, w/2 overhead 10x12 doors. That's where we work on all of the equipment. None of which is to store equipment and trucks. Here is a list of the rest:

50x40 4 stall garage (4 cutting crews park, truck and trailers)
    24x40 2 stall garage (assorted equipment storage)
    10x40 Shed (lawn care equipment and fert)
    2/24x31 carports (for large equipment)
    24x42 building (half is for employee lounge and half storage)
    4/8x20 steel containers (fertilizer, seeds, and etc)

I currently have 19 employees, just over 40 accounts and never enough storage.;)
  6. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

19 employees and 40 accounts? What type of accounts?
  7. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Apartment communties, condominiums, commercial, and large estates.
    I always wondered why others ask how many accounts I have because, you can never measure the size of a business by how many accounts they have.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

it all depands on what you are going to do with it .....1 truck and trailer or 2 trucks and trailer.... if you have one truck and one trailer that size will work ...but if you have more it will be very tight , make sure it is deep so you dont need to drop your trailer all the time 1000 make it 20 by 50 door on the end ...
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

56x72 shop.4 employees. Most everything gets indoors. Cat loaders and misc trailers stay outside. Always build bigger than you think you need.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Measure the length and width of everything you want to put in your building.

If you don't have a tractor or skid steer to be able to use pallet racks, then you only have to worry about this number.