How big is your...?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by slemon, Nov 3, 2011.

1. slemon

slemon LawnSite Member

So I was calling around to have somebody blow out my system. I decided to ask some 'control' questions to make sure they don't blow with 100 PSI pressure. I asked one guy about the size of compressor he uses. He seemed quite offended. Is it a tabu to ask about equipment you guys use?

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

why would it be?

It's a business and you are paying for a service. You get the right to know what goings on.

If someone asked me .. I probably wouldn't get technical... Since we have 185 cfm compressors I just say this baby can handle golf fields

If it was smaller I would probably just say it handles all residential systems .

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

it is a completely irrelevant question - you are not competent to vet anything by way of the telephone, when it comes to winterizing a system

Just the same, call every number in the phone book listings for lawn sprinklers, and ask for details about what compressors they use - report back and let us know how it goes

4. mitchgo

How do you figure that?

What if this dude uses a pancake compressor and charges the main line at 125 psi.. Turns on the zone then recharges?

Good have some knowledge of what's going on.

To the OP . Just use angies list companies with good ratings so you don't worry too much

5. I've seen compressor size bragging on this site enough to know its a totally legitimate question for a chick to ask.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We have plenty of systems here that are set up with 100+ psi when operating. IF DONE PROPERLY, 100 psi is not a problem. I never enter air into the system without 1-3 zones going at once. I never fill a mainline without something open.
    I don't recommend it at 100 psi, but it's all in how you work the equipment.

it wouldn't bother me if someone asked, but really, how many consumers really know what they are asking in this area? Your original post answers this for me. You are worried about entering 100 psi into the system, but want to know what size compressor the guy has. I can have the biggest compressor made, but I can regulate the pressure down to whatever I want. I can also have a tiny pancake compressor and build up 150 psi, and it won't hurt a darn thing.

7. Wet_Boots

I can clear a multi-acre estate with a truck-mount dinky, if it came to it. The issue is whether all the water is blown out, and if the system is in good shape following the procedure.

Here is a general question - what is the one and only optimal air pressure for blowing out a system?

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure. On residentials, I tend to keep mine at 60 psi, but my regulator is accessible and easily adjustable. if the system I am on is struggling, I will increase it a little at a time.

9. mitchgo

same here.

10. Wet_Boots

If a pro can't provide a number, then what does Joe Shlabotnik know about the process?