How big of a compressor do I need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, I did do a search but couldn't find the answer.

Need some advice - I have decided to add an air compressor to my garage to power the following tools: impact wrench (one powerful enough to get ANY mower blade off without a problem), tire filler, compressed air gun to keep things clean.

My question is: How many hp and gallon compressor would you guys recommend. I've got my eye on a 3.5hp, 25 gal Craftsman Professional portable air compressor. Will this do what I need it to do? I don't like sissy stuff cause I don't like to have to do things again because I didn't do it right the first time (includes purchases), especially from being under-equipped for the job.

Also, are there other things a compressor would be useful for (excluding painting because I don't know how to paint)?

Thanks.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have a Speedy Air 5HP 30 gallon, and it seems to do fine in all aspects. I would recommend the same at least, if not bigger. I have a buddy who has a 60 gallon 15HP(i think) and it is very nice, probably what I will get if/when this one goes south on me.

~Nest

3. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Don't need much. I use a 2HP with a 4 gallon tank. It allows me to carry it on the trailer. If need air just plug it in a cleints front porch outlet fill the tank and have air quick. It powers my impact wrench and all tools with no problem. Keep it small.

4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

you need about 5cfm@90psi to run an impact wrench on all types of applications.. the other two uses can be done with much less air pressure..

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I too have a 2hp 4 gal. that I load in the truck every day. Love how portable it is, and have no problem running all the air tools. I love my neighbors compressor (60 gal. w/ 18 or 20 hp motor), and use it every time I can. If you can afford it, get one of each.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a 25gallon 5.5 hp Porter Cable. I think it cost under $300.00 . I can run just about any air tool with it, that should be plenty for you. I've used a 1/2 impact, air ratchet, grease gun, die grinder, air sander air chisel.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'm looking for one as well but I want it to be able to manage a Dual Action sander. All the charts I see at Lowes and elsewhere claim that the 5HP won't handle a sander! Someone let me know if they will, I need to sand and repaint my trailer this fall.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rent a toe behind.