How big of an Air Compressor Do I need?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 2menandamower, Sep 28, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Hey guys (don't be smart azzez here). What PSi / CFM compressor do I need. Will a garage craftsman compressor do it? I have one at home that I use for my air tools to work on my equipment and my truck but I just need to know what is the PSI that I need and the CFM that I need. Also what is the Maz. PSI/CFM that I want to apply to the lines. I know how to hook up the compressor just needing settings etc. Thanks

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell us the specs on your craftsman.

3. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Don't want to sound silly here but what are you trying to do, filling a tire, removing a blade, blowing out a sprinkler system? Knowing this will help us respond with useful information.

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

you CAN blow water out of the lines with those small garage compressors... quite a few homeowners around here do it and honestly they never really seem to have freeze damage in the underground lines (i forgot to look where you're from... poly pipe does pretty well against freeze damage. The problem with those smaller compressors is they dont have enough volume so when some water is out of the line the air just starts going over the water and makes the heads start misting... but yea... if you run it long enough (will take a very long time) you'll get enough water out... properly draining the backflow is probably the most important part

so I'd say over 100cfm if you don't want to be there long
    under 80psi so you don't start blowing mist heads off their fitting

5. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

This is the irrigation forum right??? I am going to be blowing out some resi systems this fall. I have about 6 to do (that is all the customers that I have the have irrigation systems). I don't think that any of them have more than 5 zones and about 5-7 heads per zone. My compressor has a 5.5 HP motor (elec) and has 9.5 CFM @ 90PSI. Thanks for the help.

6. Flow Control

For what it is worth, a little company told me last year they use one of those small gas powered compressors that have the two cylinder tubes and that it takes them just a few minutes longer then a rental unit takes. I believe they might be in the $700 range from "The" Home Depot???? not sure, but could be worth it to some smaller companies.

What are you going to do with your electric compressor? Have a generator in the back of your truck or are you going to use power from each house?

BSME: Have you guys gotten started yet?? Did you use up those PGP's?

7. BSME

from Midwest

we're warming up to it... have been doing like half days this week

two cases left... but I may have to do one install still this year... I would normally tell them I'm done for the year but they already gave me a deposit and are the first house built in a new subdivision...

8. Flow Control

We are slowly warming up too. Tomorrow is the busiest day of the week with only 8. But I had a newspaper add hit today which covers 14 cities that irrigation is common. I have another paper with 6 cities out next week. So I will be hitting up 20 cities with local adds for 4 weeks. Then I have 8,000 mailers being sent out either this Friday or next Monday. I am expecting the shiit to hit the fan next week. We have around 8 more houses to rap up and we are finnally finishing that large Target complex. I am going to try to keep my guys busy installing through mid November with another large complex up by Cedar Point and a large residential with 250 rotors that is about an hour and a half drive from the shop.

9. BSME

from Midwest

yea i have 8 tomorrow so far as well but am sitting here by the phones right now because all of our current customers got their reminder today and the phones are ringing as people are bringing in their mail...

how much success are you having with newspaper ads and mailings? I feel like I didnt do enough advertising as I wanted to but maybe I just feel that way because it's early still... I may end up flyering some neighborhoods even though I hate that... I'd rather have people find me online, yellowpages, or in newspapers than in an annoying flyer... plus.. all the guys advertising for $25 use the flyer method

10. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I had to do a blowout late last year using my electric compressor - my big compressor was stored away for the winter, and I got another call for a blowout (his backflow was in his basement was the only reason it wasn't frozen up). Anyway, the electric compressor kept tripping the circuit breaker where I had it plugged into his house.

George