1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How big of an area to cover

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOshua Gallerick, Apr 5, 2001.

1. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

How big of an area do you guys cover in miles? I live in a rural area and I have to drive a ways to get the big accounts.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have two areas we mow, they are each 8 miles one way. Sure makes it nice. :)
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The furthest out I go is 7 miles. Almost half of my customers are within 1 mile.
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

most are within 3 blocks of me the 1 other one is aobut 10 miles its a reletives so u gotta do it
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It has taken me almost 3 years now, but I have streamlined my route so as not to go out of my general area. If someone asks me to look at their yard, the first thing I ask is, "where do you live". If it's further than I care to drive I politely say no thanks. When I first started I was driving all over the county.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have one group of 20 customers within a mile circle of each other, 5 miles from my home, and a group of 40 within a 3 mile circle of each other, 10 miles from my home.

The further group is gradually being replaced by new customers from the closer circle. Gotta keep thinning the herd ya know...
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Most of my lawns are within a 12 mile radius. The exception is a model home that I maintain. It's about 16 miles out of the way. $107 per cut. Takes me 45 minutes. It's part of a package deal that I have to do with the other model homes.