How big of an enclosed trailer do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JGB, Jan 27, 2008.

1. JGB

JGB LawnSite Member

I have a 60' zero tur, 48' walk behind and all the detail stuff. Is a 12x7 big enough?

2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

No. If you get a 12 X 8 wide you can turn the z turn sideways in the nose and put the walker behind with a push mower. Hand held stuff on the wall. I would recomend at least 14' long and even 16' if you want to stay at 7' wide..

3. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Form what I have heard you should go two feet longer than you think you need. But in your case, I would go for a 16x7 or a 14x7 minimum.

4. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i have 7x14 that i fit 2 60'' lazer mowers in ...i have about a foot and half of space left . i need a 7x18 but the price i paid for the trailer was i deal i could not turn down

i think you can get both mower on a 12x7 ... when i first started i had a 6 1/2 x 12ft trailer and i could get a gravely pro 300 rider and a 50 inch wb behind on it with plenty room to spare... hell i had 2 60'' lazer z mowers on that same trailer. i had to take the tailgate off and the back of the mower hanged off the trailer by a ft or two .............. i only hauled it like that because i went to the dealer to buy parts and left with a new mower

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

A shrewd landscape company, could build an elevated deck inside, to run a riding mower up onto with ramps which would hang, and allow push mowers to slide underneath. That could save a lot of room.

Just depends on the height, the design and the need.

At least 12 x 7 is a decent size to navigate the streets with.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Thats quite a bit of tongue weight isn't it? Basically all you'll have over the axles is the wb. Anyway, I've been wondering the same thing since I'm probably going to get a 14' myself, and although I'll only have a wb in it this year, I want room to possibly add a z in there next year and still have room to get in and out and keep my small stuff organized

7. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Now that you mention it, it is a little stout. The truck I currently use does not complain though. If he gets at least a 14' trailer he could load the walkers on first and run the zturn in behind for better weight distribution.