1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How big or small can I get away with?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by zapy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. zapy

zapy LawnSite Member

Hey crew!

I'm looking for a Hustler but as many, have little cash to spend. I currently cut with a Scotts/JD 42" rider. It takes me about 2 hours to cut my lawn. Call it 2 acres or so mostly flat. I borrowed my neighbor's Hustler Z with a 52" deck - at least i think it was a 52" ---- anyway -- I was able to cut the entire yard in 20 minutes or less.

What was it that helped this to be done so quickly? Was it the deck size or the zero turn capability? I have a few trees but the way the areas I cut are shaped I end up doing a lot of the backing up and forward mess so I'll contribute that to be the biggest time saver.

I guess my real question is do you think that I could run a mini z 36" and still be faster than I was on the Scotts/JD 42" or should I get another 42" cut or even bigger? I would like to spend as little as possible and the smaller mower appeals to me in both size and price. If I do get one I WANT to spend less time cutting but not too much less. I'll likely be bagging too if possible at some future point.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The ground speed and the maneuverability of the zero turn mower made it quick for you along with the cut width.
    I would go for a 36 or 42 inch cut Mini FasTrak or Mini Z, and you will be done in a hour or less.
    Both have catcher options.
    What is your budget?
  3. zapy

zapy LawnSite Member

As little as I must spend. I could live with 3K but that isn't happening unless i find a great deal on a used unit. Finding a used one in the Atlanta area has about a zero chance I bet. One dealer in north Ga has 1K off any Hustler w/ trade in of any mower.

What could you offer up for my budget?
  4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

A 36" Mini FasTrak is as close as your going to get for 3k.
    I would look around for a demo or used unit, or spend a little more and get the new unit.

5. GroundEffects125

GroundEffects125 LawnSite Senior Member

im selling a 44in exmark that i use only at my house for 3k it has 150 hours on it and is in great condition
  6. Diamondjim

Diamondjim LawnSite Member

I know all too much about money issues but consider that this will be the last mower you will need to buy for a very long time. I expect my Fastrak to probably be the last one I have to buy. Notice I said HAVE to!! If you do it, you won't regret it. Good luck. JB
  7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the classified section at hustler's website. They have many dealers in your region that have used/demo units for sale... Most seem to be commercial units though. Have you considered a hustler walkbehind? I paid 3 for my brand new hydro 36-15 wb. Many good deals can be found with the discontinued "hustler hydro" (not trimstar) series of mowers.
  8. zapy

zapy LawnSite Member

Been to the classifieds there but thus far no luck.

I am happy (or sad) to announce I just sold off all of my lawn equipment.
    The Scotts/JD rider is gone. The blower is gone. The weed eater is gone. The Honda Harmony mower is gone.

All I have left is my backpack blower and $1,000.00 cash.

Now if that dealer in Noprth Ga is still offering $ 1,000.00 off any Hustler w/ any trade I can fall in budget.
  9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Better do something soon, summer promotions end tomorrow 7/31/07

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

I Have The New 07 Mini-z 42 Inch,, 19 Hp Kaw,, I Use To Cut My Acre Lawn In 1hr 10 Mins With Jd 42 Inch,,, Cutin Now It Takes 30 Mins To Mow,,15 To 20 Mins To Trim Edge Blow,,,i Would Go The Extra Mile And Get The Commercial Unit,, Tough Machine,,no Problems Great Cut,, Easy The Maintain,, 5 Zerks,, Change Oil Every 50 To 60 Hrs,,, Breakin Oil 5hr's,, I Check My Oil Every Day Ichange My Air Filter Twice A Yr Or If U Use It In Dusty Condition's More, It Is A Great Machine,,," Way To Go Hustler " Built Like A Tank,,,,