how big to start??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ccrider, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ccrider

ccrider LawnSite Member

I have just been let go from my full time job where i was making great money.
    my question is i would like to get started in lawn care business mowing,triming
    only for now. i have a friend in the lawn sprinkler business that could possibly
    get me lots of custs. (residential) i have some money that i could buy a ztr &
    a walk behind & misc equipment needed. i have a 3/4 ton truck etc. should i go all out with equipment first or start slow & work my way up?? also what type of business license, insurance, etc will i need??
  2. Scandia Lawn Care

Scandia Lawn Care LawnSite Member

All depends on what you feel you can handle. There are a lot of people here who will tell you that you will not make it on mowing alone, you need another job to help support yourself. As far as things to buy, whatever you do buy commercial grade, you will not be sorry. As far as your business liscense..depends on what state you live in, your states secretary of state web page should be able to lead you in the right direction. Commercial General liability insurance is what you will need... $1 million per occurance is usually whats required if you want to do anything commercial. Also use the search function on here, you will find A LOT of posts with your sames questions. Good Luck!!
  3. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

I know lots of one-guy, one-truck businesses who live comfortably.
  4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, only buy commercial grade equipment. A one man show can be great if efficient. Why do you need a ztr right off the bat? How about a 48" walkbehind? Dont know the lawn sizes in Wetherford but maybe you could concentrate on the smaller lots and get away with a $900 21" Toro, weed eater, edger and blower. Insurance will be minimal (to protect your equipment and you). Then if you like it, start investing in more efficient equipment and education (other licenses) to expand your services.
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Just sold my one man company. It was a great money maker. Start small and work your way up. Only buy commercial grade equipment with local dealer support. It does take money to make money! Good Luck! payup
  6. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

Just like Marko said only buy commercial equipment, But only buy what you can afford. If you have to buy slow so be it. Just my 2 cents
  7. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

im a one man guy here and making a good living and i started slow and work my way up ! i know many guys around here is working by them self doing this kinda business and making pretty good money ...its all about how you control your money when you first get started ... Don't know how much work you have now but i would start with a commercial ZTR and just buy you a trimmer and blower for now and you be good to go ! which i had someone give me some work when i first started in this business lol :blob3: