How Can I "Beef Up" my Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

So I got a Bri-Mar dump insert for my current generation Silverado 2500 HD and plan on putting on a plow as well as a sander. So I've been searching the net on making a 2500 into a 3500 which isn't very extensive. Just a couple parts. I'm just curious if one wanted to go one step further with the same idea, what would be done? 3500 parts, timbrens, air bags, .......???

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave

2. ryry278

ryry278 LawnSite Senior Member

why not just trade it in? With the deals right now you could probally just buy one for the amount your gonna sink into that.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

i dont think so, trading in for another new truck would be a huge loss, and id just be trading in for a 1 tom which i can make my truck into pretty easily. its just another leaf spring and one other suspension component i cant remember.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Either a leaf or air bags. Bags are great.

5. ryry278

is the engine the same in a 2500 and a 3500?

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

same motors, 6.0 or diesel. mines a 6.0

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

not even close to a 3500. You change all of that and it still doesn't change your legal gvw. BIG FINES, for over weight trucks.

8. ryry278

i was gonna say cause there has to be a bigger difference than that. I mean doesnt a 3500 pull more than a 2500 or why would they market it the way they do or sell them at different prices why not just sell a beefed up 2500

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

In the end your still just investing money in a 3/4 ton, depending on your state DOT laws if you did try to convert the truck into a 1 ton you would need to have it inspected for the new GVWR, and the paper work is crazy. Just Install the Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags work the truck within it's rated GVWR , save money for a 1 ton

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

:rolleyes: ya, i do lawn care, not cross country trucking, this cracks me up when i hear this:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.