1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How can I compete.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tntrex, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tntrex

tntrex LawnSite Member
    from TX

Just found out today that the largest LCO in my area lowered his rates this year lower tahn even last years. :hammerhead: 1 acre home lots $46-- mow, edge, weedeat, blow.

I'm getting killed by this fool and all his illegals.
  2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

compete on quality and service

or call ins

This is a common thing and the folk on here typicaly see the lowballer as the guy with the rusty old truck and riding mowers

as a biz gets bigger it can perform the same work for less in many cases

how much does a yard of mulch cost you?

if you bought 200 yards how much will it cost you?

Chase the customers that don't want 4 people in there yard, personalized, quality service and you will be fine

or drop your cost to 44 dollars

if your not up to you elbows in debt and run a lean company 44 dollars can make a profit..

Good luck
  3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Tru Green! sums it up here our neck of the woods.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Don't compete at all...go in the other direction. Why mess with acre+ lots for chump change when you can focus on much smaller lots?
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Could be the like the area that I live in.

Smallest lots ARE 1 acre +.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

True, in which case he could be in trouble :dizzy:
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got some that are on an acre that I'm doing for $50. Have been for years, the first 3 yards I ever got.

Last year I was underbid (retained the accounts though) by $10.

I don't know.... I guess $40 / acre is good, if you can get them done in under 1/2 hour and have a decent route.

It's when you're starting out, driving 10-15 minutes between accounts that'll kill you pretty quick, especially if you're doing them on a per time, rather than a set fee.
  8. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Think that's hard to compete with. Try 10 dollars to mow a front yard 80x40 and trim the hedges. I am still trying to find this guy. When I do hope he is licensed or I turning him in.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Have you turned the name over to authorities for his use of illegal labor? If not, why not? If so, what action has been taken against him?
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

they dont care... Or wont do anything........

I'm in Texas too and the norm for around here is....

the lowballers like this stick around for a while. then what happens they get a VERY BAD NAME....... people come home and see 3,4 and 5 guys in there yard, one over there behind the shed peeing, another one looking in a window.
    still one caseing the joint....

next thing ya know the homeowner is calling in on them.....

Dont GET MAD..... LET nature take it's corse....