How can I fit my 48" into small Toyota truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Approach, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

I am trying to avoid a trailer. What is the best way to load my 48" walk-behind into a small Toyota truck. It is a standard truck bed, thus the mower is too wide to fit between the wheel wells.

I am not going to install a flat bed onto the truck. Is it even possible for the mower to fit (as far as the dimensions of mower & truck bed)?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am really not sure it would work at all. Why not just buy a trailer? Much safer, and way easier to load.

3. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

Perhaps I could professionally install flooring above the wheel wells, yet it would be lower than sides of truck?? No?

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are better off with a trailer. Much easier and much safer. Probably will cost about the same as well.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

there is no way it will fit. i ran a 32 toro out of my small toyota and it barly fit. no way for a 48- get a trailer

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

IMO its a PITA to get it on and off the truck, very easy to get hurt or drop a mower of the tailgate. id say if you get a trailer and you have the money and space to store it i would get atleast a 6X12. that is if you plan on doing this for a long time.

7. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

check out discountramps.com, I'm thinking about getting one, they are pricey but I don't like dragging around a trailer for 1 walk behind, I'm a solo operator so...

8. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

If you don't want to get a trailer maybe you could disassemble it to get it in the truck and re-assemble it after you take it out and so on and so on...............That would be about as ridiculous as you trying to put your 48" in the back of your Toyota to begin with.......:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

9. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

KKLS --- My other truck is a small toyota with a flat-bed on it. It holds my 48" perfectly because the bed it above the wheels.

I'll just buy another flat-bed for the other Toyota --Dovetail end. I find terrific advantages to using a small Toyota with a flat bed on it. Frankly, if I can avoid a trailer, then I can drive the truck home and put it in my garage at home, instead of stopping at my building to un-hitch the trailer and need to return the next morning to hook it back up again.

10. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

Plus, a small Toyota (with Flat-bed) is so easy to back in and-out-of driveways, and parking lots. If "Looks" bother me -- I'd have a different set-up. Instead, I do what's practical for my particular needs.