How can I fix Small crack in 21" Exmark plastic gas tank, what to do?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cvcook, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

The crack is in the bottom. It's the tank that's mounted away from the engine

2. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

seal-all is something that has worked for me in the past

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Wash the tank thoroughly with soap and water. Some plastics can be welded with flat tip soldering iron.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Take it off and turn upside down, clean then apply jbweld.

5. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Dont remember who makes it, but there's a product out there similar to JB Weld but for plastic. We used it on a plastic diesel tank, worked perfect and still holding.
    Check your local NAPA, Autozone, Etc.... look around the JB Weld products and you will find it.

6. Antiskell

Antiskell LawnSite Member

Buy a new gas tank

7. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We used regular jb weld on one of our scag tanks that believe it or not got stabbed with a pitchfork inside our enclosed trailer while driving! 4 years ago and its still fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You have my vote. Replace the tank.

How in the heck could the weight of a pitch fork stab through a hard plastic fuel tank? The only way I could see that happening is if the mower was not secured and it bounced around and hit the pitch fork. Always keep mowers secured regardless of open or enclosed trailer.

9. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

I like jb quick, sets up faster. Be sure to scuff the area well with 80 grit or it won't stick
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

The same thing happend to the tank on my Snapper pro walk behind about 3 weeks ago. It developed a small hairline crack at the bottom where the strap is.

First, I tried normal epoxy, that lasted 24 hours then peeled off from the fuel seeping through.

Then I tried the 6 minute set JB weld, that held about a week then started leaking again and the JB weld peeled off.

About a week ago, I took the tank off again. Cleaned it really well with dish soap and water, then "plastic welded" it a little with the soldering iron, then sanded it with some sand paper, then wiped it with acetone, then put two coats of JB weld on it. So far, it's been holding. I was trying to avoid buying a $75 replacement gas tank if I could.