How can I perfect tearing up the grass with my 52"?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by justmjc, Nov 11, 2003.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I know this thing is 1000 lbs but is there a way to avoid tearing up the grass when turning? I've had a 44" in the past and had little to no problems. Would different tires help?

The method I use is to make a slight swing before I come to a complete stop. Put it into reverse and swing the other way as to always keep the tires moving and not to drag. I'm having a heck of a time with this mower though. Any suggestions?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

justmjc,

It sounds to me like you probably need to add a little air pressure to the tires. If you are not parking the pivot wheel when turning you should not be tearing the turf. Every once in a while we'll get a call there someone is doing the same thing. Often increasing the tire pressure to around 16 or 18 psi will help.

The only other suggestion would be to stop by your local dealer and have them inspect the mower as well as watch you make a couple of turns.

Thanks

Terry

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

How can I perfect tearing up the grass with my 52"?

raise the rpm all the way up, hold one stick all the way back and one all the way forward! if that doesn't perfect tearing up the turf then nothing will! lol

seriously, had to rib ya there. try what terry said and if nothing else, make 3 point turns until you get the hang of it.

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

As Terry said... check the tire pressure first...... I checked mine after reading a post about it, and found the rears to be a FEW lbs. low....... corrected it and it made a big difference!
    This is also a simple thing, and should be checked periodically anyway for maintenance.