How can I run away chipmunks?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by James Sims, May 12, 2005.

1. James Sims

James Sims LawnSite Member

How can I run away CHIPMUNKS? I have a friend who has a severe chipmunk infestation problem. They aren't just in his yard, the are in his crawlspace. Can anyone give me an idea short of poisoning? :help:

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Use a rat trap with some bait. Chip and Dale will no longer be a problem.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Or a small animal trap. Be careful of poisoning. If they crawl between the walls to die it will get stanky!

4. grasswhacker

What will you do after they are trapped?

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Take them to the boonies and let them go. Or "dispose" of them.

6. grasswhacker

IMO the last option will keep them from becoming a problem in somebody elses yard or landscape. People live in boonies too! lol

7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a squirell problem a couple years back. I found my 12 gauge with some bird shot to be very effective.

They chewed a hole in a screen in my garage to get at some feed I had in there. I was pretty po'ed about that but shortly after that I saw one sitting on the window sill looking in and I decided that was it. Shot about 13 that day. Their numbers are starting to get back up there but they aren't climbing on the house so I can live with them.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Provide alternitive houseing and close up the crawlspace.Don't kill them they arent a bug they don't infest inless there is something they like there.I would call your county animal control and ask them what procedures to take.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I hear they're good with BBQ sauce.

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Get an animal trap and trap them, and bungee the traps to your truck and take em for a little ride! Let them go in a protected wooded area.