How can I test soil to get ph levels???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twins_lawn_care, Oct 3, 2003.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,
    everyone is always so helpful, so here I am again.

I was wondering how I can go about doing an actual soil test, so I can determine how to treat the lawns?

We are fairly new to this, and have never done any sort of soil tests as of yet. I would appreciate any help on this, as I would like to learn the right way to do things.
    Thanks again for all the help everyone:D

Also, if you can give a brief description of what to do in certain instances, I'd appreciate that too, and am sure a lot of people are wondering the same.
    Like if ph is low....add lime etc. and thing like that.
    Thanks!

2. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Texas and I send my soil tests to the state for analysis. When I send in a smple, I tell them what I'm trying to achieve and they tell me what to do to amend the soil. The cost here in Texas is $10 for a routine analysis. Contact your county extension agent for details in Illinois. Anyway, here's a link to Texas A&M about how to collect and send samples.

http://soil-testing.tamu.edu/publications/794232-l1793.pdf

3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco charges 12.50 and they give you a bag to put dirt in and send off. The results are very informative and I just get the reps to tell me what I need based on the results.

It usually takes a week but they are running 3 weeks now due to high demand!

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys.
    has anyone used something like this

Soil Tester

and if so, is it worth it, or is it junk?

5. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

I found soil tests in Lowes and Home Depot. They cost about $5 and include 4 different vials for 4 different tests. One of the tests is Ph -- another is Nitrogen. I forget the other two.

They usually keep the packages right next to the flower/vegatable seed display.

6. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

a friend of mine uses one close to that twins lawn care, seems to work well, very handy and looks proffesional

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have used soil tests before, pretty darn on accurate

8. PhrankW

PhrankW LawnSite Member

9. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I use Lesco also. The test costs 12.50 including postage. I can also get them done through the local co-op for about $15.00. It is just more convenient to go to Lesco. That's where I buy fertilizer, lime etc. Matt

10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are just looking for ph, you can buy a decent ph meter from gemplers supply http://gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?UID=2003100320365613&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN9=0&T1=70150 . You might as well pick up a tool for taking core samples also http://gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?UID=2003100320381196&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN9=0&T1=OAK19 . You will want to take several samples across the yard and mix them and remove the grass and thatch. You then mix the soil sample with distilled water and check with the ph meter. This will give you a more accurate ph reading than the meter that you listed in the above link, as you will end up with an average of the entire yard.