how can people be so cheap.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by chefj, Aug 19, 2014.

1. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

Following is a reply I received to day. I quoted him $45 per visit biweekly. Today he wanted to clarify that the bid was $45 monthly for biweekly service. I nearly defecated myself. Why do people think mowing services are so cheap. Its a $40 lawn, before you ask what the lawn is like. just venting. Anyone else have potential customers like this?

"Sure, thanks for the update. Also, want to confirm the quote you provided, $45 is monthly charge and you would do biweekly mowing, trimming and edging."
    Best Wishes,

Sachin

I responded with $80 monthly and then he reples

"Hi Justen,

I recollect you telling me a $40 monthly initially over phone then $45. Monthly, $80 is too expensive for grass mowing. Thanks for providing quote for your services.

Sachin"

2. MasScape

MasScape LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it. People want everything cheap but I can tell u they will not cut you any price breaks or think their prices are too expensive if you visit their business
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Wouldn't 2 cuts a month x $45 a cut be $90? But you dropped it to $80? Maybe you had a typo...

I've thought about some potential customers in the past and the times they nearly fainted when they heard the price. One lady called me for a quote for some weeding. She told me the other company who gave her a price of $700 was dragging their feet, so when I quoted $1800, her jaw hit the floor. I had to explain to her they were probably dragging their feet because the job was severly under bid. I explained I wouldn't even touch the back for $700. The yard had not been touched in years.

Some people have unrealistic expecations because they think it's simple. They don't understand what goes into this type of work....insurance, taxes, labor, gas, equipment, and the list goes on. Not to mention, there are shows on tv with contractors offering free backyard makeovers. So if these guys are doing these makeovers for free...how expensive can it really be?

4. ManuelMowing

ManuelMowing LawnSite Member

Many people think that mowing, trimming, and the general business is easy. It actually is, anybody can mow a yard. What people don't understand is the business side of it. Fuel, insurance, mowers, trucks, trailers, employees, taxes, time, effort, and the skills you have developed. If you have been in the business for a while you will get people like that. I have gotten the older people that say "well I'm on a fixed income and I can't afford that", and then they get the cheapest guy out there who can barley tie up his shoes. Once that guy does the work they call me and I got to fix the problem and in the end it would have been cheaper just to hire me.

5. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Happens all the time. They dont factor in a lot of things. I say it'll be $30 for this or that. Well roughly $5 goes to SE and roughly $5 goes to income taxes (depending on net). So now I have $20. Even that sounds high. Well you see I have gas which if I spent say an hour at their place would end up being almost $4. Now I have $16. So on and so forth. They get the picture after awhile.

The best is when I say what it costs a month and they say they could buy a mower for less than a few months pay. I point out they still have to spend hours in the hot, muggy, summer days doing strenuous activity.....they tend to agree I offer a fair price.

6. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

I have had a few of those. I love the ones that try to rationalize how much it costs us to do the work. "well its only 10$ in labor for an hour and $5 in gas so should be 15$ a cut right?" lol. I should have a speech of all the add ons it takes to run it like Wenzel said before me.

I had one that did that too! "I could buy a mower and do it for that price" Yes, yes you very well could. He called back a month later lol.

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What exactly can you "fix" when it comes to cutting grass?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

80/month is only sometimes accurate. Some months will be 120. Don't forget there are 4.3 weeks/month. I had a nice back and forth with one of my clients a few weeks ago. She said she wasn't going to pay for 3 mowings per month because she told me to mow bi-weekly. I felt stupid for her when I explained that some months have more than 28 days.

9. chefj

Scalped grass, burnt grass from ZTR's, overgrown grass on the sidewalks from poor edging, spots other LCO's refuse to mow because they don't think its part of the yard. I have ran into a few of these.

10. chefj

Its absolutely amazing the ignorance of some of these people.

To answer an earlier question, I was going to service the lawn for $80 a month, which is a steal. Hopefully someone smacks him with some realism.