1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How can their be any money in this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I don't cut my own mother-in-law's house because she has it done weekly for $50 a month.....that is $12.50 per cut. Yes, it is a very small yard but still.

A friend of mine also saved me a doorhanger in his neighborhood from a company that came by with an estimate attached to it -- $59 a month and that is assumed to be weekly. This yard is NOT small.

I know alot of people on this site say, "Don't worry...those lowballers will be gone in no time...but sh*t....seems like new ones will be popping up all the time. I am new to this....but I'm simply not loading my trailer up for $12.50.

Take out gas for my truck, mower, trimmer, edger, and then wear and tear on the equipment...and what is that....about $8-10 per mow...if that?

Then subtract what you are paying three illegals.

Someone please do that math for me.
  2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

at that price they will probably go out of buisness soon, GAS ALONE will eat up that much. find a MIN price you need to cover your overhead and add how much profit YOU want to make, thats your MIN price, and Never go lower. theres good money to be made and alot of good customers out there. stick to YOUR price and do Good Work and let word of mouth get around and you'll get more work.
  3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Dude, it's just the beginning, we're gonna see some truly desperate tactics by some.
  4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a pretty upscale golf course community and we have about 30 accounts in here that range from $35-60/cut. Lawns are anywhere from 1/4 to 1.25 acres. We had a guy come through last week with a full color brochure (very nice) with magnetic business cards offering ANY lawn for $20. This includes mow, trim, edge, blow or BAG. He also hit another large community that we service the next day. None of our customers have said anything but I'm sure he'll pick up business. I agree with the previous post....things are going to get tight and crazy.
    Good luck and good mowing!!
  5. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Yea I would just quit right now, or you could quit crying and do something to set your business apart. Never sell price, sell quality.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are people who are desperate for accounts ,theres no way he can be profitable and live on that maybe ? I dont no what the cost of living is down there ,but $20 bucks for any lawn is just crazy:dizzy:
  7. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, they'll win a few and then next year we'll get them back after they realized they have lost their arses!!
  8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Florida.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And to Texas....same story here.....volume volume volume ..crew of 5 setting in a subdivision all day cutting burning up little truck gas and no load or unload time. And, it is easier than working in a big apartment complex with cars and a lot of blowing. Just hope the big big companies haven't figured this out.
  10. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

IndyChad....not sure if you actually can put the two and two together....but this is what is known as a "forum" where people ask questions and other people respond. Asking a question is not called crying or everybody on here would be crying. Its actually the "purpose" of this site. If I was you...I'd ask your wife, or your man, to do you a solid and give you an early one on your monthly booty call - sounds like you need it.