How can this be??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PLM-1, Aug 22, 2007.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How on earth can somebody treat 11 acres for broadleaf, sedge and fertilizer for just under $500. The property is all broken up with beds, fences, pools, ponds, driveways etc. This property is a nightmare! I instructed the property owner that there is no way he is mixing to spec and treating the ENTIRE property. This is his 3rd trip back to control the weed issues. Maybe I'm just incredibly expensive. Give me a price range you think it should be in.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is only $45.00/acre!

Let him have it! I wouldn't even go and open 11 acre field for that!

My time is worth more then that and you don't even have fuel and equipment figured in yet!

He will fall on his face on this one! especially if he is paying help!
  3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

1400-2000 depending on fert. But that's for fert app only.
    1900-2300 depending on what herbicide. I wouldn't even add or suggest a sedge control. Maybe spot spray areas that are real bad but charge about 200/acre for that seperately.

A weednfeed could save some time and effort. maybe 2000-2500 for weednfeed on 11 acres. But then 200/acre for sedge.

Hard to tell pricing but no where near 500. I wouldn't talk smack to the homeowner or the contractor doing it but dig for more info. The homeowner can't be happy with the quality. But you get what you pay for.
  4. PLM-1

I didn't really talk smack to the homeowner. I was talking to his groundskeeper after the fact more about it. I treat the landscape for disease and insects which is never ending. I suggested to the owner that he is getting a good deal if he is in fact getting what he's told. I gave him my price which was in the 1700 range just for the fert and additional for anything else. He's not happy. this is the 4th app total to "clean up" the weeds from this company; so that tells me the company is not up to snuff.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Find out if their even licensed. It is obvious they don't know what the heck they're doing.
  6. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

So this is the applicators 3rd trip back? If so ask the property owner how things are working out for him. The people could just be spraying water on the the 2nd and 3rd trip who knows. The property owner is getting what he is paying for..........
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I dont even waste my time trying to compete with fools that work for that kind of money!
  8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

it would cost you more than that $$ in material to do a quality job.
    I wouldn't't touch it for less than $1800.
    There is no way anyone can bid jobs like that and stay in business!
  9. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

I totally agree. I'd come in at about 1700-1800 also. Can't hardly cover the cost of product with 500, let alone time fuel and equip.
  10. PLM-1

It just blows me away. It tears me up because this guy pays good money for other things, ... except this.