how can you charge 1.00 a min and make anything ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Todd's lawncare, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

So you say 1.00 a min everyone says . But if you can do 1 acre in 30 min thats 30 an acre and everyone says they get 50 to 80 . Where does anyone come up with a dollar a min ?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I charge by volume of work to be done x difficulty.

If you shoot for an hourly rate, you shoot yourself in the foot!

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The average full time person works .... hopefully 2000 hrs per year (40x50 with 2 weeks off) ... soooo that is 120,000.oo minutes per year .... if EVERY one was making $1 per minute ... than each n every solo or employee whould be bringin over $100k per year ... per person ..... if I could do that (with 5 guys full time) I'd be dancing .... even at 80% efficiency I'd be happy

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It's a goal/target to shoot for, for me. If I sat down and averaged every account up I would find that on some I made $45.00 an hour and on others I made $100.00 an hour. You may not always hit it realistically but you need to shoot for something. I don't cut "acreage", I charge by the job and then try and achieve what I've estimated. It's up to me to find the easiest and most efficient way to do it once I gave the quote cause I can't go back and say I screwed up and need more money..................well...............I guess I could but that wouldn't be right now would it????

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

It is just a ballpark average for the year. Some weeks the grass may be very wet, and thick and you are doing 30 an hour, and in mid summer you are doing 100 an hour. One yard is great money in the spring, but hard in fall because of debris, etc. I felt great last summer because I was doing about 75 an hour for awhile, but so far this year I am much lower due to HEAVY grass growth so far. This next week looks a lot drier, so I should up my hourly!

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I include my driving time when I figure my hourly too. Fortunately all my accounts are in clusters of 3 to 5, or are stops on the way there or home if singles.

7. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

You can't do an acre in 30 minutes SOLO including trimming and blowing !

Anyone who tells you you can is fibbing just a LOT !

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Excuse me? I can do it in 20 minutes thank you very much. Actually the lawn I am thinking about is over an acre. More like an acre and a half. The only trimming there is, is around the house. BTW I use a 48" Lazer

9. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

Excuse me? I can do it in 20 minutes thank you very much. Actually the lawn I am thinking about is over an acre. More like an acre and a half. The only trimming there is, is around the house. BTW I use a 48" Lazer

i agree with this statement period...........

only differ is that i have gravely 60" cut..........

plus, i have 12 accounts in same development...............

payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup

10. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

According to Exmark you can mow 3.1 acres per hour with a 48" deck going 8 miles an hour. How are you mowing 4.5 acres an hour and still have time to trim and blow? Does your mower go 12 miles an hour ? :dizzy:

The formula for acres per hour is:

Miles per hour x width of cut divided by 124