1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How can you make money in mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ImprovementsGuy, Jun 16, 2003.

1. ImprovementsGuy

ImprovementsGuy LawnSite Member
    from Indpls

Hello all,

I have been reviewing this site for weeks. And find it very informative. I have been playing with the idea of starting a LCB. But i'm having a hard time making the numbers add up. If i was to go after just resid. lawns and maybe get $30 to $35 a lawn and complete 10 of them a day. (seems to be a little high talking to homeowners that are currently using LCB) Thats $1500 to $1750 a week for 35 weeks ($52,500 to $61,250 a year) Minus another employees wages, taxes, equipment, gas, etc, etc etc how do you make money. With my figures i would have to get commerical work to stay alive. unless i'm looking at this wrong. I've thought about the fact that mowing is just a service to get an upsale. But i would like to start the business on mowing and master that before providing more services. I do not want to hire 2 crews and trucks and equipment and become a manager to make any money starting out. i know volume is the key some times but would like to make quality the key from cradle to grave. I would like to make $80,000 to $100,000 a year within the second to third year and move on from there. But with my figures on a 2 man crew at 10 a day for five days i need to average i need an average per cut cost of $50 to $60 I know you can get this on some lots in the country that have large lots. but i live in a very upper class area that has a high rate of paid services per homeowner on 1/3 to 1/2 lots. How can i make money with these people. thanks for all your insight and help in advance.

2. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

A two man crew should be able to cut 10 lawns before lunch.

3. Like YLG was saying, your numbers are not right. I'm a single operator and can easily do 12 lawns of that size in a day, but most of the time its significantly more than that.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

wish I could cut 10 of my lawns before lunch, but then again my days sq foot can be up to 700,000 :)

5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I probablly won't answer this to suit you, but one problem is that it should not take a two man crew to do ten lawns a day. I do that many a lot of times and have day time left over. If I was going to run a two man crew they would have two be bringing in a bare minimum of $300.00 a piece more like 400.00 to 500.00 a piece everyday. Some may think that I'm stretching it, but I run over 400.00 a day easy being solo.

6. ImprovementsGuy

ImprovementsGuy LawnSite Member
    from Indpls

Thanks for your thoughts. maybe i'm not figuring enough lawns a day. what equipment would i need to complete that type of work in a day. and what is your idea of a day. 8 hours 10 hours 12 hours?

i'm currently looking at a 48" exmark turf tracer HP and the stihl trimer and blower. too start out with.

Thanks again

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is true....

Also, you should be able to get the $$$ you want and need on those 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. If you can't find a way to get that....well then, you just got to figure out where he cheese is. Maybe it's out in the country or over in the next neighborhood.

Sometimes, you just have to jump in and get your feet wet in a business to see what it's all about, what you have to do and if you can make it work for you somehow. Any business is more than scratching some numbers on a scratch pad and making some projections.

However I do think you are seeing a little of the realities though. At least you can see there is much more to it than finding a few lawns to mow and making some quick cash. That's a start!

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: your also not taking into effect that you will also be doing side work for these people, you should also get your pesticide license theres more income that 50-60 K is now like 100-120. tony

9. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

6/12/03 I did ten lawns in a little over eight hours $440.00

Equipment : toro 52" Z Master, toro 21" proline, stihl trimmer and,edger was used for this days work

10. I have a 52" Stander for front and large lawns, and a 36" Stander for back yard gates. There's only two of my accounts that I even have to fire up the 21" push-mower on. In a 10-hour day with plenty of breaks between lawns, 30-60 minute lunch, and time to shoot-the-bull with some of the customers; I can finish ten $40-class lawns. It only takes about 20-30 of actual work on one of those lawns once I drop the gate.

With the equipment you've specified, ten or more $35-class lawns in a 10-hour day is possible once you get your system down and learn your lawns. Its the wrong time of year, but if you could find a used 32" Walk Behind (WB) for backyards, that would really cut your time. Even if its a junky WB that you sell next season.

Starting out, you may want to go solo until you get plenty of work to justify a helper, much less a crew.