1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how can you tell if a mower is a 2003?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Benchmark, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

This maybe a dumb question, but I was wondering if there is any way you can tell what year the mower was manufactered in?
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most times you can get the serial code off the engine mount and write the manufacturer, they can usually tell you exact/ approx time the unit was made.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The engine serial # wont always help you, some times these engines are made many months in advance.
    The best way to find out is to get the serial # off the tractor, and call the mfg, they can tell you.
    Some serials are easy to decipher.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks PJ,
    That's what I meant. The thing I was talking about was where you mount the engine to the tractor NOT the deck. ;)
  5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

On Kohler engines start from 70 and add 30yrs which would be a 2000yr, and 31-2001, its the engine serial #, Ive bought 2000yr models with 98 engines on them, don't know about the other engines, but on the Z it should show your model # which should have the date in there somewhere.........Marks Mowing Service
  6. Is it nice and shiny? NO then it's not a 2003 and maybe used.....

Powerframe serial number, call mfg, they will tell you for sure.