How close can one plant to sprinkler lines ... ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ArthurFrost, May 6, 2006.

1. ArthurFrost

ArthurFrost LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I need some help on a question: Has anybody heard of a rule of thumb how close to a sprinkler line one can put trees/shrubs in ?

The reason I'm asking is : I have a sprinkler system in my backyard. I also have a pretty rocky ground. Very hard to dig in.
    Now I want to plant some trees and don't necessarily want to redo or rip out any of my existing water lines.
    I don't exactly know where my water lines are but I'm guessing and start digging the holes. If I come upon a sprinkler line I usually can move my hole for the tree a bit to accomodate for the line. I for sure should not plant right on top of a sprinkler line, but how much room between line and center line of the new tree would be adequate ?

Any numbers or suggestions ?

Thanks
    Art

2. rluscomb

rluscomb LawnSite Member

It really dont matter, but if you have a problem later on down the road the you are either gonna have to rip out what you planted or re-route the line. I have seen roots grow into couplers and t's, especially palms.

when we plant and run into a line, we try to relocate the plant a couple of feet away, if possible, if not the pvc pipe is gonna have a little company:)

3. ArthurFrost

Thanks Rob :)

If I understood you right you'd not be worried about even planting right next to the line ? Say 1 or 2 feet ?

It looks like on most of the spots I picked for the trees that there are no Ts, couplers or heads nearby. (But of course still the PVC line)

I was just wondering if the root system of a tree or shrub that grows larger would usually just grow around the line without doing major harm to it (except for making it a little harder to service in case of a malfunction) or if it would crush it at some point in time for sure if lets say the line was buried only 2 feet away from the stem.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Roots get into lines all the time they get attracked to heads and eventually will break them. Usually that is not a big deal to repair. Keep in mind a big tree will send roots a long way so don't sweat trying to avoid. I won't get closer than 3 foot to the main line-the one going to valves.

5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I t really does not matter as long as you dont plant the tree or shrub on top of the line. Reason I say that is, if any roots should get in the lines which is slitely possible, you could always just cut the line and re-route it.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen irrigation lines crushed within 10' away from the base of a tree..so do this at your own risk.

7. ArthurFrost

Wow....

In that case - to be without worries - I could not plant anything in my yard :)

At least there seems to be no real guidelines out there that I'd have blaim myself for not following if something breaks.
    So, in the ground they go :waving:

Thanks for all the replies
    Art