How close do you look?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I serviced one of our 90 zoners (WM solenoids down, of course) and wondered
    how often you all service the regular clients? Our RM clocks note the time &
    day of the up/low limit, but, if no one reads the faults, it's moot. The zones
    had been down for a month, lawn jockey had our #, never called, finally the
    client tracked me down & I went out.......desert...turf thinking it's winter.
    Do you depend on the mow crew/client, or do you have a regular "stop-by"
    schedule? Do you look at every head in the system? Do you know where
    every valve box is/was?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about you ML, but out East here we are servicing a ton Of

WEATHERMATIC SOLENOIDS..My partner (in the service industry for 20 +) a very smart tech said today,"after a thunder storm, the fuses start popping"

And we all know what happens after that..We do the "stop by when in the area" but normally we wait for the Landscraper/ H O to let us know..

Also this year we are doing a thing called a Mid Season Check up on over 300 of our accounts.Its a great way to head off the dry spots and add an extra day, pitch a few things to the client while getting some face time...We treat it like a turn on..Check every head....check for phantom programs, test rain sensor, adjust heads..yadda yadda...People love I suggest everyone here try em out...

And if we install a clock in a potential problem area we will go back to make sure Our programs have held, and that things are running to par..

btw how are you leary?

3. Mike Leary

Damn smart post. How often do you show to service/inspect? Doing great, thanx.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

Glad to hear you are in the plus...We show up starting in July and August to the customers who feel they would like a quick run through and adjustments.Most people are thrilled to have some time to ask us questions,

We did about 10 today give or take a few, and on every property we added,subtracted, repaired, tested all we could...

People think they are a great Idea....Its also a good way to keep the guys busy..Not sure you are familiar with REDTHREAD on Turfgrass but this year with the cooler temps @ night it's quite abundant...

Next year I think we are going to start doing monthly check ups to those who feel they are apt for the program...

5. Mike Leary

Time for RM remotes.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

Sadly I am working with 3 guys that are over 45 and very stuck in their ways.....

i had to buy a hunter remote today and show them how it worked...

they didn't like it..change to them is bad.

7. Mike Leary

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

sad but true...

my remote front is no longer hiding..

I am telling them ALL to install smart ports in all hunter clocks...

well see what happens..

9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

whats not to like? really what are their reasons for resisting the change

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

the fact that they won't take the time/energy to understand how to operate the remote..So the remote will be in my hands, and they will be digging holes while I inspect the lawn, thats the only reason I can think of.

that and they are stubborn..

I have to explain it like this....time and $$ are wasted every day with walkie talkies, and long walks to and from the controller...

The remote cuts all that out.....