1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How close have you gotten to throwing in the towel.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, May 19, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Here lately its seems like I should just give up. I've lost almost half my accounts because of kids going around and mowing big yards for $15. They don't trim, they don't bag, and the wheels are set on the highest setting possible. The customers don't care if the quality goes out the window. With gas going higher and higher I can't even come close to competing. My quality is 100X better but these days people just look for whats cheap. I'm thinking about getting a regular job as much as I don't want to.
  2. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

I feel your pain, sold my company in Florida moved to Kentucky and said I would never mow again, and less than one year I am in buisness again. Dont worry just keep you head up and things will work out. Let the kids mow for 15.00 because in about 3 months of crappy work they will come back to you.:usflag:
  3. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Quit??? Hell, I just started.

Started Jan 1st, got 12 reg clients/ half are commercial. Just wrote a contract proposal for $264,000. Got fingers crossed.
  4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

A contract for $264,000 isn't exactly a beginner contract. That's like having a Porsche for your first car! That may not be the best move-just thinking out loud
  5. Edwardsville IL.PLS

Edwardsville IL.PLS LawnSite Member

I think it's tough all over. I had 23 weekly accts. last year and I'm down to 8 this year and it had to be the year I quit my full time job to go full time with my lawn care service.It's dog eat dog around here,everyone's pulling a trailor with mowers.Had to go back today to the golf course and see if I could get some part time work .Still trying to keep positive though. Best of luck.
  6. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Moving may very well be the answer. I'm not being sarcastic in the least. If the demand is capable of being satisfied by teenagers with their Dads' 21's and firefighters with 4 days off every week, (Shut up, you know you make your money on your off-time! :nono:) then you need to find a new market. Either that, or find a different niche in the market. Become the local Mulch-Meister. Kill bugs. Spray weeds. Do the stuff that mowers of low caliber can't do. Aeration/seeding/fertilization. If there's no money in these other areas, move to Virginia Beach. We haven't had a winter in years!
  7. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

sorry to here , i felt like that this week when i oped my gas bill for april $825 i almost died
  8. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My gas bill for last 2 weeks of April and first 2 of may came to 1,000. oooch that one hurt .

Everyday around here Im seeing more and more kids and retired guys driving around in a beater (old truck) with a wore out push mower cutting grass for 15-20, Its hard to compete with them but there are customers out there that will pay a little more to have quality work done, Just hang in there.

It wasn't that long ago I to thought about getting out and moving on, but I stuck with it and Im glad I did. This year is my best year yet and im sure next year will be better as long as I keep working hard.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Some people just never quite:rolleyes:

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

It's everywhere. I went up on prices across the board to cover fuel prices, but the fuel prices have already surpassed my price increase. That's been the #1 impact for me this year to deal with. I also had a lucrative government contract canceled because of the economic times, but knew it was coming.