How cold is too cold for spring clean up?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by LawnGuy35, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

I have several spring clean ups scheduled over the next few weeks. One was supposed to be today, but my customer called and said he thought it was too cold and didn't want to risk harming his lawn. It's only supposed to get up to 40 today, and right now it's only 28. As you can imagine, that means a lot of leaves are stuck to the ground and there'd be a lot of stress on the lawn to rake them up. Later this week it's supposed to hit the mid 50's, so I didn't mind rescheduling.

Anyway, do you wait until the weather warms up to a certain temp before scheduling your spring clean ups, or do you just do them no matter what the temp is?

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I'm waiting til it warms up, like you said, the leaves are frozen and will be stuck to the ground. I'm not in a huge rush to get the couple left that I have done, got most of mine in in the past few weeks.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I would hold off till better days But if customer can t wait tell them up front may look better if we wait till warm weather

4. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

we dont bother working if the temps are below 40 for the low we look for 50's to kick off our work it leads to a higher production rate and happier crews

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking, if there is snow on the ground, it's a good idea to hold off.

6. mjlawncare

mjlawncare LawnSite Member

still cold here also i see a handful of landscapers out today but its really windy plus theres still some snow in a few yards possible noreaster friday this weather sucks

7. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I had a retaining wall project/patio/major scape of a new house scheduled to start today...the retaining wall was to be started today...NO WAY...I canceled because it was 18 degrees this morning and a high of 35 today! That's a tad too cold!

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

We've been working all of March unless there was snow on the ground doing cleanups. If the leaves are frozen, do something else until they thaw.

Unless you're not in a rush, then wait, but might as well do something instead of sitting at home.

9. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

Temp here is about 78 degrees right now! -Southern California

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Hahaha, Stuff It... :)