How cold Is too Cold!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane612001, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Greatdane612001

Greatdane612001 LawnSite Member

I Was wondering is there a point when you don't work if it's going to be too cold to be out working, i live in the Kansas City area and they say it's going to be 20 and 30 degree's outside!:(

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked all day today :(when I left this morning it was 27 degrees with snow flurrys . not sure how much it got above that it was chilly

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would say that 25 would be my limit...below that...no thanks.

4. buster

buster LawnSite Member

Here in Louisiana, we don't work if it under 70 degrees. just kidding, had to reply.

5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

It must have been in the high 20s this morning when i first left the house (7am) (normally i dont work on sundays, but with the rain, snow, and bronchitis of the past 2 weeks, i had to play catch-up). There were flurries this morning, but it actually felt way colder when it got windy around noon, but the temp was up to 35-40 almost. The only thing that can stop me is snow or rain, temperature (unless above 110 (which it never gets)) can NOT be an obstacle if I am to keep up.
    BUT DOESNT IT SUCK?

6. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

You don't want to know.

7. wilawns

wilawns LawnSite Member

my favorite time to work is when its right around 30-40, its just right. your not sweating like mad and you can just workin in long sleeves

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

As long as I can feel my fingers, toes & ears I'm OK. If I'm numb, I'm done. I can't take the occasional, it hurts to breathe cold either. Normally what runs me indoors is the wind. I just can't take it. Cuts right through me.

Windchill sux!!!

We have very few of those days around here anymore :)
    I don't miss the cold days until it warms up and the bugs come out thicker:mad:

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

-20°F at 3-4 am does get to me in about an hour. But 15 minutes in the truck, and I'm ready for another hour. Haven't found a lower limit in daylight hours yet, but days always warm up above zero here (usually).

Hope this isn't a thread for just the southern guys. You fellas down there never get to play with the snow. LOL.

10. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

as long as you still can put more clothes on its never too cold to cut grass!