How come I'm boggin down with double blades???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastrunner, Apr 24, 2002.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

Hi, i have a husqvarna 61 ztr and I am running high lifts on the bottom, and gators on top for mowing... I seem to be bogging very bad in grass that isnt that thick at all... do i have the wrong blade setup?? what blade setup do you guys use??? thanks. jeff
  2. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

I run double blades , high lift on both top and bottom. It requires alot more power to run double blades, cause you slicin and dicing the grass alot finer.
    I currently run a Flatlander Chopper , my next machine will be the suburban turban from Dixie. 2 kohler 20 horses ! Kick A##.

Eric Goodwin
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What Engine?

What Horsepower?

What are your free load RPM's?

What are your blade engaged RPM's?

What are your single blade mowing RPM's?

What are your DOUBLE BLADE mowing RPM's?

It does take some MUSCLE to power doubles. This is why I choose to only use single blades. Is your cut that bad with singles?

Check your air filter!
    Check your plugs!
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Same here, I don't like the slower blade speed with doubles.
  5. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

maybe you should use other blades besides the gator .they are more for drier grass and leaves unless you use the ones that throw clippings out instead of in.
  6. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Not only do you have double the cutting edges but you also have double the lift. Your losing your horsepower to the additional lift more than you are to the additional cutting edges. You could most likely do the same fine cutting with medium lift blades and not use so much horsepower. Every deck is different though. What may work in one deck may not work in another.

7. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You can use shorter blades for the top set, their basic purpose is to mulch up the clippings more
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

gotta admit with the grass growing like it has been ,ive run into some real pull on the 20 koh 52 cut i have.but my machine still cuts better w have to bag if i used singles . not my game.
  9. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I find with doubles if the grass is a little wet it tends to stay up in the top of the deck. For me they work a lot better when its a little dryer.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Also check the deck belt to make sure its adjusted correctly. If its not, it will cause the mower to bog down under heavy conditions, especially with doubles.