1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how come nobody calls the cops?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 17, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we have been over it a million times. i'm certainly not the only one who has dealt with dead beat, or late paying customers. everyone says small claims court, mechanics lean, etc. how come nobody just calls the damn police? or goes to the police station and file a complaint of theft? it's the easiest way, i believe. i've never lost yet, and on more than one occasion, just pulling out my cell phone and telling them i'm dialing the police gets me a quick payment. so why on earth doesn't anyone call the cops?
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wont work here. Cops here will tell you it is a civil matter, not a criminal one, and send you down to your local magistraits office to file suit.

The only matter I have ever heard of around here, that the cops will handle is, is bouncing checks. Then you can file theft by deception and fraud charges.
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Cops around would laugh in my face. They'd tell to find a good lawyer and wish me good luck.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

lawndog is right. I tried this one time down in Brentwood, PA (don't know if you know where that is lawndog)... Anyways, it was at a t-shirt place where the owner was trying to rip me off of a large order which he screwed up. I told him I was calling the cops, he threw me out of the store, I waited for the cops to come... and when they did, they told me to go down the street to the magistrate's office.
    I filed the suit, and ended up losing anyway!!! I was ticked off.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the overall intimidation would be key. Luckily i do work for several local officers and am in pretty tight (i think). I have a feeling it would work with me. Luckily i have had no deadbeats YET.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it depend on if you were calling the Good cop or the Bad cop!
  7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got that one right.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Like has been said it is a civil matter not a criminal matter. Cops have no authority in civil matters.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The general consensus here is right. If I called the cops here over a deadbeat cust., They'd laugh their A$# off. You can't hardly even get em' out for a crime, let alone a deadbeat..
  10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually used Bobby's advice on a customer, and it resulted in a very quick payment. I had a new customer, a renter, who I was suspicious of from the get go. Her account reached $300.00 with no payment. I called her several times and was polite about it. She kept saying that she would try to mail me some money soon. Several weeks later...nothing.

I called her at work and said that I had no other choice but to call the police and file a "complaint of theft of service" against her. I was bluffing though. She was very angry, and cursed at me and hung up. Two days later a payment in full came in the mail with a nasty letter saying that I was insensitive, and unprofessional.

Geeze, I gave her 12 weeks!!!