how come u ask, "how long did it take?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anytime someone comes on here, and describes a job, and asks what he should charge for it, you guys always ask, "how many people were there, and how long did it take." i don't see the relivence for asking this question. what does how long it took, matter in pricing? i eagerly await your replies.....
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i charge a buck a minute, with a min of 25 dollars..... thats how i do it, 45 min, 45 bucks......too many variables to go by the size of the lot, slopes, trimming, ....
  3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

maybe this will help you. when you take a car in for work, two things determine the cost .
    1 parts cost including the mark up determined necessary and appropriate
    2 labor charges cost per hour at the shops predetermined labor rate (overhauls cost more than tune ups)
    does this help you get the picture? no? get back on whatever bus you ride(I don't care ,front or backseat)
  4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Don't like that respose? Try this one . It doesn't matter. I always charge the same price for mowing a lawn . It doesnt matter if it takes 3 hours or 10 minutes. Know quit trying to get your posting numbers up with your useless posts. Get off the bus and walk. I await your wise guy response. (not)
  5. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

the reason it matters so much how long it will or did take is because every job is paid in relation to time. mechanics your first part time job any grocery store or resturaunt you work at they all pay their employees by the hour it also for our work helps with pricing if you make mistake in the amount of time it will take you if it was priced on a per hour
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

For you, it doesn't matter. As you had firmly stood your ground on this matter previously, you said, "TIME DOES NOT EQUAL MONEY."
    However, in the matter with your accountant, where you had to make a few phone calls to rectify his mistake, you now want reimbursed for your time. Because in that instance, you feel your time is worth something.
    Well which is it? You flip flop all over this board. Can't you maintain your position? :dizzy:
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I know this has been discussed at length with threads started by you. With over 9,000 posts, I would think you should understand how to use the search feature and go back and read those threads....:clapping:

And I haven't seen a good, across-the-board way of charging by the job. There are just too many variables on properties the same size to give a flat rate. I'm still new at pricing and it's still somewhat a shot in the dark for me, so I'm not saying I know all about pricing. But I do know that knowing your costs per hour and charging accordingly helps you price things more accurately and make a consistant amount on each job.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's simple mathematics. Number of manhours x manhour rate = what to charge.
  9. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

How could it not, Bobby? Explain to me why we shouldn't.
  10. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

how do you have time to cut lawns ?