How compact is your lawn round?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snippy, Apr 4, 2004.

1. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I have heard of some franchisees finding all the work they need right in their own suburb, I guess made possible through the power of networking, in my case that would be six square kilometres ( four square miles )

So how compact is your lawn round?
    Where do you draw the line regarding travel time?
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I think mine all fall into a about a diameter of about 9 or 10 miles. None are more than a 15 minute drive from the house.
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Hervey Bay, Qld Snippy so no city route for me.

I'd say a diameter of 50km would be close, lots of miles per week as I can't always condense jobs being a ride on only contractor, go to where the work is.
  4. twoowls

twoowls LawnSite Member

going into second year i was thinking of expanding to other cities but once spring hit i could barly keep up with the two towns i serve now. My routes are all with in 6 miles of me but also these 6 square miles are one of the fastest groing areas in western washington, lucky me.
  5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started in '96, if someone from 30 miles away answered my ad, I went. I started wising up and cut that back quite a bit. But since I live in a little bitty town outside a couple of big towns, I have to do the drive. Up to 16 mi. one way, usually no less than 6 hrs. work per trip.

That is, unless I want to compete with the farm boys who mow and trim the 2 hr. lawns out here for 50 bucks.
  6. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Tonyr..... Hervey Bay Queensland!!! I thought places like that were reserved for old lawncutters who'd died and gone to heaven!, you lucky !@#$%^! OK now tell me you're married to Elle Mcphersons sister and I'll throw myself under the mower blades tomorrow!
  7. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I think thats about what I would like to aim for too.
  8. Tonyr

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!

I might not make as much money as a lot of you blokes, but the "other" things about here make it worth it!! :)
    Man, chic heaven here, workin with an ocean view most days, aaaahhhhh, well someones gotta do it!

Old lawncutters.....yeah, I'm that alright:)

Elle's Sister....haven't even seen her hay, not even cut her lawn! (yet)

The Bay is nice...came down from Toowoomba, a sh1i hole! that place.

From Gympie before that, strawberry farmers, now mower contractor....crikey will I ever get it right LOL!

:drinkup: :cool2:
  9. indmowing

indmowing LawnSite Member

Snippy you gotta be kidding. There are more contractors (young and old) in Hervey Bay then in the rest of the country lol. And then you have the scooter people haha.

10. Tonyr

I wanna put decks under those scooters, I'd have a huge fleet of very cheap employees! Work quality is probably higher than some of the scrubs around here too!!

I am going to invent a ZTR scooter to get my 2 cents outa these old folk!

Now ya got me on about scooters again Eb! lol!