How Competative Is Your City or Town

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tyner Lawn Service, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to know how many lawn companies are in your area. My population of approx 600,000 has over 6 pages in the phone book(250 names) In the spring there can be up to 90 ads a week in the paper and there must be over 150 part timers doing it that are not listed. I feel even though I have enough work I would hate to be starting out in this area new. I feel it is overkill and prices suffer. What's your town like??? Thanks in advance.
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Cleveland is exactly how your city is. A little more than 600, 00 with all the suburbs and there are over 6 pages of lndscape contractors in the yellow pages, but they're not all as good as they say they are. I started 2 years ago in my neighborhood and I'm doing excellent with 16 weekly customers. Next year I'm expanding.
  3. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Tyner, your right about the number of companies here in Omaha, however there is a huge demand. I started with zero last year and I have had no problem picking up accounts without lowballing.
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i just counted the phone numbers listed in the book for my area, there are 3 different sections that lawn care is listed under and there is an average of 50 numbers in each section. population is somewhere between 400,000 to 500,000 ... but i'm willing to bet there is atleast twice as many people doing lawn care that are not listed... friggin scrubs :mad:
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

way,way , too many people wanting a piece of the local long as there are not more regulations,which i am never in favor of ,for my own reasons. it will allways be the same . got to take the bad with the good,of this buisiness.course we could opt for a regulations directed life. that way u let the government choose what u do and where u live,what u eat.
    and every thing else. been tried before tho and failed due to human nature being what it is. always be a stalin around waitin his chance. jmho
  6. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

While sitting at the local gas & puke I counted 19 companies driving by in the span of 15 minutes not counting the 6 companies in the gas station parking lot.

Palm Beach County home of the start and fail and other things colorful

Lots of competition and plenty of work to go around…

If you don’t like the heat call me I’ll do it.
  7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Year round biz. Do the math.:eek:
    Been like this for as long as I can remember. All the legit full timers,like me. And then include all the part-timers and the non legit people. A ton to put it mildly.
    No big deal though.
    They come and go like the weather here. As long as you deliver what you say and show up when you need to be there things are pretty good.
    Most people here are up to speed on the situation of "you get what you pay for."
    Low prices may get someone started but it won't get them anywhere if they try to keep it up for for too long.
    Between the heat,rain and not having what it takes to survive in this biz the "herd" gets thinned out every year.
    :D ;)
  8. That's one of the great things about this biz. There is allways room for one more.
  9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

More than I'd want to count. The good thing is that I don't see all of them from year to year. The bad thing is that I always see new ones. Competition is what our economy is about. I don't always like it, but I welcome it. Good luck.
  10. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Same down here always someone else starting who thinks they can under charge everyone else,and always plenty finishing up because they found out they couldn't.