How could that be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Sep 4, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

How is it that I see the same lawn companies at the same lawns every week at the same time on the same day even if I am not. What I am trying to say is, how can some lawn companies get all there properties done at the same time every week? Do they never get sick? Or do they never have any repairs? Are they never tired and a little sluggish? I have a set schedule that I try to mow each day. but it doesn't always happen. I have to run errands, last week I got an eye infection and had to go see the eye doctor, my back hurts and I am slower than normal, my mower needs repairs, the season is long and I am a little tired, and what about rain? Do they skip the lawns that they can't do that day and start fresh the next day's schedule on that day? What do you guys do when "things" comeup in your life?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This is why I have said before that to get into this business with the intention of being and staying a solo, one man operation is short term thinking. It's naive to think you won't have these problems and that you're invincible.

A person can work their asss off to create a successful business only to have it all gone when they are injured, or sick (and I'm not talking about a cold here).

I know, I know, someone will post that they have been doing this for 10 years and couldn't be happier and have not had any problems. Like the weight loss commercials say "results are not typical". It's a small percentage of people that can do this LONG term by themselves.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We run our schedule .... on schedule .... week in ... week out .... back up truck, trailer ..... extra 2 cycle everything both on the trucks n in the shop .... back up Walkers n Lazer in the shop which fore the most part is 30 min from the furthest stop

The only thing I don't have a backup fore is .... workers ....pay em well ..... give em good equip ... sure I go thru em but I have my base 4 n if I have too I go out .... but I run average 200-220 hours per week in mid summer (206 last week) .... everyone showed up .... hours were 34-36 per man .... one doesn't show or is late ... they get more towards 40 ... my biggest weeks in June-July had a couple 48-53 hour weeks

Have a set route .... don't do single cuts ..only monthly maintanence ... yearly .... 42 cuts .... even if it don't need it ... I still get paid

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

yup that is how you do it. back ups for everything and don't run balls to the wall with employees.

But most importantly is you can't do it as a solo op. Impossible.

I currently have 2 employees and it is still impossible. guy calls out and the whole schedule gets bumped. Get 5 employees and you can suck up a guy missing a lot easier.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You can set your watch to our routes/schedules. It's achieved by consistency and employee reliability. Period

6. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Rodfather, how can you be so consistent? If your mower breaks and you have to turn the dump valves and push the mower up the ramp and then take it to the dealer to have it repaired and then go back to get your backup mower and then it rains and then the day is over with, what do you do? I can't see how you can do every scheduled lawn for each day on that day every week without something going wrong. Help me to learn. My wife and I do about 65 lawns or so a week. They are all billed monthly so I know where I am going each week. I get half of the winter off to take care of repairs to the trailer and truck etc. Short of having employees, is there anything I can do for consistency? Don't you get tired and can't get up in the morning sometimes? My route is tight with no more than 5 minute between lawns and a couple of times i drive 10 minutes.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well first of all, we have many mowers (around 13 I guess). I have no idea how many trimmers and blowers these days. Anything less than a downpour or lightening, we will continue to work. If we have to, we will work weekends as well.

Yes, we all get tired and don't feel like getting up in the morning like everyone else. That's the nice thing about having employees. You don't have to do it all yourself.

Sure, things can and will go wrong. But if it's mechanical, it won't be a major problem for me cause of all the backup equipment we have on hand. I even have backup temporary people who can work with just a phone call away. Trust me, after 11 years of this full time, it has taken alot of work and effort to get to where I am now. It just takes time...

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

employees...'

the bigger the company the more able they are absorb the absent employee, etc.... they also will be more likely to have back up equipment, or newer equipment....

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no set schedule here. we aren't robots. and, it has not effected us

10. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Two man show on this end. My employee has the same work ethic as I do and we take care of business. Large companies have different pitfalls than solo ops. It comes down to efficiency and time management.