How could this have happened?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pastaboy62, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing today, and I looked down and noticed this bent pulley. This is off of my Scag. I have no idea how it could have happened but do you think it is important that I get it fixed? How much will it cost you think?

0702081215.jpg

2. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

I would fix it.Looks like a simple 2 bolt removal to get it off of deck.Then a puller to remove pulley.I sure cannot see a price over $40 for such a repair,but i never owned a scag either.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Something must have got caught in between the belt and pulley. A rock maybe. I would replace it before it eats the belt up.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the shavings look green to me. Are you sure that you didn't get a plug of grass in there? Doe it work OK? It's just a thought....

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what the dealer would charge you on the labor but this is a DIY'er in my book.

It's an easy repair you have to take off the two nuts and bolts that hold the cover on then pull that cover off and you have access to the pulley which is held on to the axle shaft via a hex screw. Loosen that and it should come right off, maybe there's two of them hex things or maybe a clip also I don't know...

Either way the repair itself shouldn't take over an hour, depends how mechanically inclined you are and how well it comes apart / goes all back together, you can always use the other side for reference but on a good day I could probably do this one in 5-10 minutes lol.
    And yes I would fix it before it makes some thing worse happen, not sure what it might do but it is kinda broken.

Worst part is the price on the pulley, I think they run somewhere between 20 and 40 dollars, each... :cry:

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I just looked at your picture again. Did the inner flange wear through? If so everyone else is right. Got to change that pulley.

7. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i was thinking, guess i'll change it over the weekend.

8. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the pulley banged on something during transport. Did you try using a c clamp and closing it back up?

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've never bent one of those on my belt drives but, I have bent the wheel pulleys numerous times. I just clamp vice grips on there to get it straight. It happens all the time when jumping curbs. Another reason I went with hydros. Tony