How Creative Have U Been

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Mar 3, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

One time my f150 (all tools on this truck) was getting tires on it and I had to use my other truck (no tools) and of course the snips were not where they should of been on the trailer. I've used a lighter before but no lighter this time anywhere to be found.....Sooooooooo the gate on my trailer is really tight on one side so i just closed the gate on the trailer across the trimmer line. works really good......
    Anybody else get creative?????????
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Teeth, car keys, customers' scissors, rubbed it on the inner fender well lip on my p/u truck. I've had a few forgetful days!
  3. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

A long time ago my Grand Daddy gave me a brand new Case XX pocket knife, taught me to sharpen it, and keep it that way. I still have and use the knife, I keep it sharp, and it is always with me. It cuts sting trimmer line like a knife thru butter, as well as pine straw string, small pruning jobs, acts as a screw driver. Hay the possibilities are endless.

If you don't have and carry a pocket knife you really should. Truly a very useful tool, and they make great gifts for your crews birthdays, Christmas etc.:cool2:
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Sound silly but a hammer. Thats all I use now. I have a milk crate in my cage for oil, lube, string, and other small stuff that I usually find scattered all over the cage. I grab a hammer out of it and put the string on the outside angle of the angle iron that makes the cage. One wack and its cut. Works great.

Oh yea this is post 1000 :clapping:
  5. Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs. LawnSite Member

I'm a self proclaimed knife nut. I have knives all over my trucks. I give my guys clip style pocket knives at the beginning of the season. You can get the cheap ones at the general store for about five bucks. I buy a dozen at a time. They lose them, I lose them but someone always has one. I keep my good one close to me , it's a kershaw. But I have used pruners also.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've used needle nose pliers to cut trimmer line.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always carry a pair of pruners in my back pocket when I grab a trimmer, but there are always things around a property that you take advantage of when on a property just to save time. Cyclone fence, for instance. This is self sharpening. There is never any reason to stop and cut line while doing cyclone fencing, because the fence just breaks the line off rapidly enough that it is not needed. Therefore, if the line is somewhat dull and flared, I will make it a point to jump over to a fence if it is feasible. Another thing...driveway culverts...The steel ones. If there is an edge sticking out on it, then I flip the trimmer over 90 degrees and let it cut the edge. you just want to make sure you hold it it so it hits right square, though - for a clean square cut. Anyway, that's the jest of it.
  8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

ive had to sit there and try and cut string on the trimmer head before.needless to say i carry around a knife with me now.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had to bend the trimmer line and rub on street till it was cut , takes a few minutes but works.
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually smack it with a fresh edger blade