how dangerous are herbicides

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by millie86, Jan 27, 2014.

1. millie86

millie86 LawnSite Member

Just now got pesticide license. my question is how dangerous really are herbcides? to humans? pets?

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'll definitely be coming back to this thread. There is just no other way to phrase what I am about to type. KY gave you a license and you don't know the answer to this???? Did your study materials not cover this topic?

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

He got a pesticide license not a herbicide license.

Though common sense a poison that kills any life form has to have the potential to be dangerous.

Agent Orange. I need not say more.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The term Petsicide refers to all herbicides, fungicides, insecticides. A pest is an unwanted living organism.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

What Patriot said...

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribing to this thread.....

Studies (though some maybe biased) are showing that long term exposure can be dangerous to your health.

Whats funny is the labels, and the ag restrictions for re-entry and lawn use re-entry.

Ag is usually 24 hours or more. Lawn use is "until dry".....

Really though, we try to educate our customers on the minimum to make their lawn look good and acceptable. This also includes the use of lawn soil samples to know what nutrients are needed.

Balance is the key....

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribing to this thread.....

Studies (though some maybe biased) are showing that long term exposure can be dangerous to your health.

Whats funny is the labels, and the ag restrictions for re-entry and lawn use re-entry.

Ag is usually 24 hours or more. Lawn use is "until dry".....

Really though, we try to educate our customers on the minimum to make their lawn look good and acceptable. This also includes the use of lawn soil samples to know what nutrients are needed.

Balance is the key....

8. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious, why are you asking this question? Are you concerned for your own health due to repeated exposure? Are you wanting to better inform your customers? If you are being honest about having your license you should have learned all about the harmful effects of pesticides. Remember they taught us that {hazard=toxicity x exposure}. Each pesticide is going to have different harmful affects. You should always try to reduce your exposure as much as possible. Read and follow the labels of what you're applying and wear proper ppe. The skin is always at biggest risk of exposure so protect it wisely. Also, it's a good idea to learn about the signs and symptoms of pesticide poisoning. You can never be too careful.

It's kind of sad that here in Missouri all you need is a 70% to pass the test and get your license. Anyone could walk in off the street and pass the core test. The category testes are a little tougher but not extremely hard.

9. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

Personally, I won't even touch them. Interested to see what the consensus is on here.

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Let's just say I will never offer total lawn area broadcast spraying for herbicides and my application tags for 2014 will have a spray time added with emphasis on spot spraying only. "Less Chemical" approach. I only offer it for my fertilization clients and mowing client who abide by my standards of higher mowing heights. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device