how daring are you with your ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Oct 18, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what i want to know is how steep of a hill will you take your ztr on? do you run it near ponds etc... pics would really get this thread going. thanks.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not all that daring if I am near water or a ditch where getting out would be a big hassle. Now if it is a hill that goes down to a flat area, sure I will do that stuff no problem but image is quite important down here and passer bys seeing you pulling your mower out of a ditch isnt what I would consider good advertising.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Daring to some point,but it's like the cat that crossed the road.

4. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I am very daring, I don't know the degree of the hill but it is steep and I go side ways on it too. I'll get a picture of it this weekend.

5. lawnwizards

thats what i wanna hear and see.. i love good pics of mowers in action.:waving:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would advise you first disrespect the Wb, and once that machine slams you flat a few times and you've become intimately familiar with the level of pain and the tolerance you need, then you might consider playing around with the Z.

All I can say is when it happens, you hardly have time... And no, you really have no time to prevent it from happening, the only thing you have time for is to ride it out as best you can... For example, you have time to put your arm in front of your face so as to prevent your face from getting mauled by moving machinery.

In 5 years I've been over the handlebars of a Wb 4 times, twice it hurt bad, once it hurt really bad, and the last time it hardly hurt at all...
    Just so we're on a level field, bad pain would be putting your hand flat on the hot muffler and getting 2nd degree burns all over the palm of your hand and your fingers. Real bad pain would be best described as the broken ribs you get when slamming into the fixed bar with your chest. Hardly no pain is best taken as landing on the muffler with your tail, while your jeans protect you.
    So it's not a matter of practice or skill, it just all depends how and where you land.
    And just so we're completely in the clear, it is understood that the yard you're working on is to be finished, as is the rest of the day's scheduled work. So, carry some Motrin in the truck and a first aid kit, and know how to use these things.

Now where a Wb will hurt you, I think the Z will flat out kill you.
    No doubt about it, that thousand pound machine won't think twice when it knocks you on your tail with the strength of the biggest bull you've ever thought of fooling with.

So, I'm a little daring but I don't do much with the Z, the Wb otoh, that one I still don't mind.

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Not daring at all! I got a wife and 3 kids that expect me to come home, and you can't do that being sliced,diced,and bagged! I know what my limits are, and I won't try overdoing it! Learned my lessons early, slid down a 6 ft. slope and almost went through the neighbors screen room, into their pool. Talk about "white knuckling it", I about bent the control handles and had a couple of nice 12 inch wide divots in the lawn from the tires. Next time was a wheelie up a hill, not fun. sorry no pics, but if their were, all you'd see is the "OH SH*T" look on my face!

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I will say my SuperZ with it's wide stance (the 66" is even wider) does really well on slopes for a ztr. I usually cut slopes going sideways (across). The biggest problem I face is the back tires will start sliding down the hill and it tears up the turf. After several cuts, it looks like crap.:confused:

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I know quite well where I can take a mower so I don't do much daring.

10. lawnwizards

i'm not really interested in people doing the "oh sh*t" thing with their ztrs. i'm more interested in getting an idea of where you can and cannot take them. hope this makes sense.