how dedicated are you to your dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captdevo, Apr 13, 2002.

1. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

how dedicated are you to your dealer?

i work both sides of the road....

i'm a dealer and end user.

as an end user, i'm looking for a good price and good service and to make money with quality equipment.

as a dealer, i'm looking to make money while offering good service, quality products and good prices.

where is the happy medium?

is 10% off a good deal?

as an end user, i have $15k in equipment (less truck) plus insurance, fuel, etc.

as a dealer, i have $150k in new equipment, tools, parts and used equipment, plus overhead (which is much cheaper than most dealers as i have a shop at my house).... insurance, supplies, utilities, advertising, etc.. (this is real low compared to most dealers)

i had a guy inquire about an attachment for a Walker mower which listed for $2650, i shot him a good price at $2500 and he said i was high, he then told me he was quoted $300 cheaper from another dealer, but he wouldn't have the item for at least a month.

i'm sure if a potential customer told him he was too high by $450, he and most of us would walk away and let them get the cheaper guy.

what would you do?

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you can't go broke taking a profit.

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we have been in situation like this before.

lets say the piece of equipemnt cost $1000 at our dealer, and $800 at another dealer. we will see if or dealer will sell it to us for around $900. our dealer will actually tell us his profit margin.
    we know the dealer has to make money on sales, and can understand that. i mean when you only sell xx number of mowers a year, how can you make money if you only get a $50 profit on each mower. actually that wouldn't even be a profit. dealer still has to put the mower together.

even if he won't go down to $900 we will still probably buy from him because he will drop everthing to help us out if we have a problem with it.

my point is that just because it is cheaper to buy doesn't mean you will save money in the long run

IE: is other dealer nearby, will he fix it right then and there or will we have to drop it off.

we have bought all of our 48" and up mowers from our dealer for about 17 years. reason being is that he bends over backwards to keep us coming back. the price isn't alwys the cheapest, but she service(at least for us) is GREAT.

4. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

I think you have to go with who you feel is the best choice for service when you have a problem.

Price should be reasonable, but unless you are buying a wheelbarrow, you may need service fast or a loaner to stay up & running. Whoever you think is going to be there for you is the right choice of a dealer.

I just purchased a Ryan Renothin, used it for the first time & the thing was not properly assembled/tightened. The lower pulley spun off the reel and ruined the shaft of the reel and the pulley.
    Dealer said "Bring it in right now & we'll see what it needs & get the parts next day air & have you fixed tommorrow." So, I brought it in at noon wednesday. I rearranged my jobs and on friday they called me & said "The manufacturer sent the parts ground UPS, they won't arrive till monday, sorry."

I asked if they had any available de-thatcher to loan me while my brand new piece of equipment was sitting in their shop. They said "no". That was a big help. I am a small operation, but the $4000 I paid them for an aereator & the de-thatcher was not chicken feed.

I could have checked all nuts & bolts for tightness before using the aerator and I obviously didn't. I guess I should have not relied on someone else to properly do their job.

Hey, how far from St.Louis is RPM Sales & Service?:confused:

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer where I have gotten most of my equipment is high some times on thier prices. And you can't talk them down either. But the service is very good. I have about a 45 min to hour drive depending on traffic, to his place. I always call them when I am heading that way, usually when I get there they get me taken care of and back on the road. I don't have to go back later very often to pick up equipment after repairs.
    I try to be loyal to them because of getting good service, but some times the price does get a little deep.
    If I were to go to a local dealer/shop here it could take a week to get equipment back. And I can't afford to have 2 of every thing, so that when they are playing around, I can still cut grass.

6. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

I think that most of us here would rather pay a reasonable amount more for equipment from a dealer that will always be there in a bind. The dealer that I have been going to for the past 3 years is a little higher than others, but like just about everyone else said he will do everything possible to get me up and running in the shortest time possible. A good example is yesterday afternoon the PTO clutch on my rider fried itself. I called my dealer, told him what happened and he asked me where I was. Gave him all the info and he said he will be right out. This location is about an hour away from his shop and he came out, replaced the clutch and had me running in about 1 1/2 hour. On top of this he said "I am not goin to charge you for the clutch I put in until I have a chance to see what is wrong with this one. If it only needs to be repaired, I will repair it and put it back on for you. If you need a new one then I will charge you for that one." I gladly pay him what he is asking for his equipment with the kind of service I recieve back. Price is not everything.

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

ditto on above......my dealer used to have a large landscape operation and now sells equipment and does very little landscaping. So he knows exactly what we all go through , I will not even shop anywhere else unless he just does'nt have what i need......his service(on equipment) is far superior to ANY other dealer with in hours. I did buy a new mower this season from someone else and was VERY un sure about buying from a different dealer without the same service as him, but my regular dealer just did not have what i wanted

bottom line .....if i am getting excellent service, i wont even shop around

8. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

For 300 of my money I would wait as an end user.

9. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

keifer,

I don't look at as saving $300 by waiting for that part to come in. I look at it as money lost because it is needed now not 1 month later. How much money is going to be lost in that month from not having that part. I know that I make more than $300 a day and being without a piece of equipment I would stand to lose a lot more than the original $300. Besides, you are paying for the outstanding service of the dealer as well as the part.

10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I would be more than happy to pay a few hundred bucks more on a mower and know that I will be able to rely on the dealer to help me out if I have problems with it than save a few hundred bucks and the dealer be invisible when my mower is down.

Hank