1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How deep are fescue grass roots?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ricsin1, Apr 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

there was a path behind my yard that has been used as a ALLEY WAY for years and the soil has been compacted and is very dusty and dry with a chunks of rock & concrete buried in some sections.... I thought this was a public alley way but a site revealed that this patch of land is mine. I just gained another 7' FEET of backyard space!! I had a guy with a bob cat to come through and break up the dirt & the tire tracks from YEARS worth of cars using the alley way.

now that I gained an additional 7 feet of backyard space I wanted to see what I need to do to extend my fescue over this new area but like i said the soil has been compacted and seems very dusty and dry with a chunks of rock & concrete buried in some sections...i removed as much as i could but that soil seems UNREHABITABLE!!!

the area is 50ft long x 7ft wide...... i can get brand new premium organic top soil dumped on top of this area but i need to know HOW DEEP IT SHOULD BE? how deep does fescue grass roots go?... I may have to sacrifice a small sample section of my fescue to see how deep the roots go?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Freezing and thawing--or in your part of the country--heating and cooling will gradually loosen up the soil. Your plan should work with four inches of topsoil. Naturally, top quality seed should be accompanied by good irrigation and a high quality slow-release fertilizer program. A soil test is in order, but if you want to test only after problms arise that is up to you. In an alley there is a potential for road oil and dust control products applied in past years.