how deep are gas lines?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by exmarkrunner, May 8, 2003.

1. exmarkrunner

exmarkrunner LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

does anyone know how deep they burie gas line?
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

They usually bury them minimum of 3'. But over time if the grade has changed it could be closer to the surface. I once worked on a commercial project where a guy trenced through a 3" or 4" gas line that was about 10 inches deep. Made the evening news.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You don't want to pay the $10,000 fine for not calling for a mark out before you dig, do ya??:(
  4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

You shovel dig until you find it. Then pull in or trench with it exposed. Its the only way you can be sure, is by physicaly seeing it. It is your responsibility. Even if it is marked wrong if you dont find it call'em back until its found.
  5. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Just like Turfman59 said dig with hand tool to locate it. Here in Wyoming you have to use hand tools to cross a utility line they say no machinery within 2 feet ether side of the marked utility, and always have a line marked. I dig around alot of large gas lines 24 inchers that are under 900 psi, in there case I can't even dig without the gas companys reps on site.
  6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm on a commerical job right now. I had to cross a petro gas mian that has federial gov regulations on it. I had to cross it 6 times plus I had the line has a 50' right of way. Here were my choices hand dig, backhoe,plow the lines in. If I was to dig the lines w/o the rep being there they would come back and make me take the lines out and reinstall them. For every crossing they had to make a report on it. I got me a plow fer tha first time today and pulled the pipe instead of hand digging. That brings me to my next topic.
  7. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

gas lines are not always deep wheln you hire the lowest qualified contractor.

this gas line is down 6-8 inches.

91 water\'s edge 3 gas pipe.jpg
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've been on one job where the landscaper hit the electric with an 8" pin for the edging. Blew him back and had an ambulance come and take him to the hospital. He was ok but they did it as a precationary.